none
For installations of Visual Studio 2013 and 2015, I cannot "Change" the installation from within the "Programs and Features" dialog of the Win7 Control Panel

Question

• For my installations of Visual Studio 2013 and 2015, I cannot "Change" the installation from within the "Programs and Features" dialog of the Win7 Control Panel.

Further, the Visual Studio splash screen shows for a split second then disappears without any messages.

Further, the same result occurs if I use the install file for either program. That is, executing the install executable starts the Visual Studio splash screen then disappears.

No similar behavior occurs with other install executables or for programs listed in the Programs and Features dialog within the Win7 Control Panel.

Same behavior occurs in SafeMode.

Finally, this is my personal computer and I have no Windows Policy settings set up - so, there is nothing that I have set from within Windows to prevent installing or changing an installation of Visual Studio 2013 or 2015.

Monday, February 29, 2016 4:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Wayne,

>> I mistakenly (thinking that I didn't need those as I program in CSharp) removed the C++ Redistributables through using another Installer program - not using the Control Panel.

I think the problem may be caused by remove the C++ Redistributables through using another installer program, which may clean up some Visual Studio related files and regedit.

Since we can't confirm what files and regedit are cleaned up by this program, I'm afraid that you need to uninstall Visual Studio entire with command line and all Visual Studio related mis packages with msiinv tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them, you may try the msiexec /x <product code> to remove.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 07, 2016 1:18 AM

All replies

• If you want to change the features, run the setup off the distribution ISO for whatever version of Visual Studio you have installed.
    Monday, February 29, 2016 4:26 PM
  • Boy, I tried to be as thorough as possible, but I missed inclining that fact in the description of the problem. In fact, I have the ISO Distribution from the Microsoft download page. It is from that ISO that I attempt to install - and, as I described, the splash screen shows for a fraction of a second and then it is gone. Further, from the same download page where the ISO download is located is the option to install using the Web Installer. And, that does not work either. As you may know the Web Installer downloads an executable file. When I execute that file I get this response https://www.research.net/r/Z323BJS?campaign=ct!!349F02833F474ABF9C94F97FA520E73B

The download page I am speaking about is here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Hopefully, you understand the bind I am in if I need to change the installation or uninstall either program. So, I am trying to find a solution before I really have to make such a change.

Monday, February 29, 2016 5:55 PM
  • Thanks for Brian Muth's reply.

Hi Wayne McKittrick,

Please make sure you run the executable file as administrator first. We need to confirm you have enough permissions to do these operations.

Then please close all third part software, especially antivirus, which may not trust the Visual Studio so when you open it, the antivirus close it automatically.

>>When I execute that file I get this response https://www.research.net/r/Z323BJS?campaign=ct!!349F02833F474ABF9C94F97FA520E73B

According to the response link, please try fill it and submit your issue to check whether Microsoft will give you a response later.

In addition, please check another Windows 7 machine to check whether it also has this issue. I think the problem may related to your computer environment, because I also install VS2013 and VS2015 on my Windows 7 machine which work fine in my side.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 01, 2016 6:49 AM
  • At this point, I think there are no other answers. However, I want to respond to Weiwei's suggestions so that others that may have a similar problem will know that I do not have the solution.

In response to Weiwei's suggestions:

1. I actually removed the Virus software from the machine to assure that was not the cause of the installation, or changing the installation, aborting.
    2. I do not have another machine to test.
    3. I think it is evident that something is preventing the installation or changing the installation from the Programs and Features dialog. I just cannot find it.
    4. I am logged on as the Administrator when attempting to execute the ISO, Web Install, or changing either VS installtion.
    5. Finally, I did respond to the web request to report the aborted attempt to install from the vs_professional_ENU.exe downloaded from the Web Install option on the Trial download web page.

Wayne

Thursday, March 03, 2016 10:58 AM
  • Hi Wayne McKittrick,

If you can't open the change/installer window, please try with below command to change features and uninstall Visual Studio.

Change Features Command: /AddRemoveFeatures

Uninstall Visual Studio Command: /uninstall /force

More command line, please refer to Using command-line parameters part in below article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw.aspx

In addition, to make sure whether the package is well, Please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290 to verify hash of the ISO. Any discrepancy would indicate that the file was corrupted. The VS2013 and VS2015 ISO files SHA-1 Values in below links.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2013-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

If the installation files are correct, I'm afraid that the problem more related to your computer environment.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, March 04, 2016 2:08 AM
  • I confirmed that the SHA-1 values for the ISO file of both Visual Studio 2013 and 2015.

I executed the Web Install executable with the \AddRemoveFeatures command. The cursor showed activity but only the following web page came up: https://www.visualstudio.com/downloads/post-install-vs?campaign=ct!!AA9E4BC39E084E168A0200843375D17B

That web page should occur after a successful install - I think.

Finally, I extracted the executable from the Visual Studio 2015 ISO and executed the install file with the \AddRemoveFeatures and the same issue ocurred - that is, the Visual Studio splash screen flashed and then was gone. Nothing else occurred - error mesages, etc.

While doing all this, I needed to do some Google searches and did follow the advice in this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2899270. Specifically, "Error during a repair" contained therein and executed the following: C:\ProgramData\Package Cache Delete /F /S *.msiDelete /F /S *.cab. Still, no change.

Just to be sure, I returned to the Program and Features dialog of the Control Panel and attempted to execute "Change" to both the Visual Studio 2013 and 2015 installations. No change in result - just the Visual Studio splash screen for a split second.

Any other possible solutions?

In any case, thank you so much for your assistance in trying to resolve this issue.

Wayne

Friday, March 04, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Weiwei:

I have another idea - what would happen if I deleted all of the ProgramData\PackageCache. I found the executables within for Visual Studio and attempted to execute those. They did load somewhat but then disappeared. I think there were for executables in there. I tried all four. Also, when I executed those I got a message that a .cab file was missing.

Further, I examined a number of the other directories in the ProgramData\PackageCache directory and it seems all of what is in there is associated with the Visual Studio installations. I guess, alternatively, I could force an uninstall - but there is too much work setting up Visual Studio again - even if that got things straight, after.

One final bit of info that I neglected to mention. I know that the Visual Studio 2013 Installation worked from the Control Panel because I did make a change to the installation at least one time that I recall. So, it was working at one time.

Oh, and another thing, I mistakenly (thinking that I didn't need those as I program in CSharp) removed the C++ Redistributables through using another Installer program - not using the Control Panel. That program had a feature that would "clean up" any remaining files after uninstalling. After that, Visual Studio 2015 would not load - an error message indicated there was a missing .dll. So, I reinstalled the C++ Redistributables for VS 2013 and 2015. Then, Visual Studio 2015 executed without problems. However, it was after using that program to uninstall the C++ Redistributables and "cleaning up" after, that I discoved that the "Change" would no longer work. That caused me to get involved in resolving the issue.

Wayne

Friday, March 04, 2016 8:47 AM
  • Hi Wayne,

>> I mistakenly (thinking that I didn't need those as I program in CSharp) removed the C++ Redistributables through using another Installer program - not using the Control Panel.

I think the problem may be caused by remove the C++ Redistributables through using another installer program, which may clean up some Visual Studio related files and regedit.

Since we can't confirm what files and regedit are cleaned up by this program, I'm afraid that you need to uninstall Visual Studio entire with command line and all Visual Studio related mis packages with msiinv tool which will list all installed msi on your OS. In that way you can check them and if you want to remove any of them, you may try the msiexec /x <product code> to remove.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, March 07, 2016 1:18 AM
  • Thank you, so much, for your time and assistance.

Unfortunately, after continued research and reading others experiences, I have come to the same conclusion.

Take care.

Wayne

Monday, March 07, 2016 2:34 AM