New Java wrapper for Microsoft Translator API RRS feed

• General discussion

• First off, I'd like to thank the Microsoft Translator API team for building these services and for offering them free with generous rate limits. The functionality is surprisingly robust - considering I did not even know this API existed until 2 days ago - and the quality of translation is good. I'm sure everyone is aware of the huge gap left in Translation web services with the announcement of the deprecation of the Google Translate API and many applications will be migrating to Microsoft Translator in the coming weeks and months.

To that end, I'd like to post a link to a project I started yesterday that aims to provide a Java wrapper to the Microsoft Translator API. I started a Google Code page to host the discussion group and and binary distribution at:

http://code.google.com/p/microsoft-translator-java-api/

I'm hosting the source code at:

https://github.com/boatmeme/microsoft-translator-java-api

I'd like to invite anyone who's interested in contributing to fork the code on GitHub and help build out the full functionality of the Java wrapper. Currently (as of 0.2) only the single Translate and Detect services are functional, so there's still lots left to do.

Thanks again for the great API, Microsoft!

-jonathan

Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonathan,

thanks for posting this here. I want to remind everyone that commercial use of the Microsoft Translator API requires a commercial license. To obtain such a license, please send a message with a short description of your application to mtlic@microsoft.com.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Chris -

I'll make a note of that fact in the documentation.

Is there a URL I can point to regarding commercial use, or can I just quote your above message?

-jonathan

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Jonathan - you can just use the following verbiage (or rewrite to your style as you prefer):

--

If you intend to use the Microsoft Translator API for commercial or high volume purposes, you would need to sign a commercial license agreement and provide your appID to the Microsoft Translator team. For more details contact mtlic@microsoft.com. This allows the Microsoft Translator team to better tune the service to the needs of our many partners, and avoid abuse.

--

Great job on the Java wrapper by the way! I would love to see the collaborative translations APIs (Add and GetTranslations) be included as well.

Vikram Dendi, Group Product Manager
    Microsoft Translator
    Friday, June 3, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Hi Vikram -

Thanks for providing that text, it saves me the difficult political task of attempting to craft a bit of text sufficient to cover Microsoft's needs while also conveying the necessity of a commercial license to end users. I appreciate you removing that considerable responsibility from my shoulders :)

I will absolutely add the collaborative translation APIs in a future release. Indeed, I think it's one of the API's coolest features, I just wanted to take a bit more time to understand how it works and how it wants to be used by client applications. Any further info you have in that regard, would be most useful (I've looked so far at the AJAX service docs and the Interactive Service SDK). I've created an issue in my GitHub tracker for adding these services.

Also, feel free in the future - and that goes for everyone - to drop feature requests over in the GitHub Issue tracker @ https://github.com/boatmeme/microsoft-translator-java-api/issues.

Thanks!

-jonathan

Saturday, June 4, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

Microsoft Translator is deprecating the Bing AppID mechanism and replacing it with an access token. Do you know how to use the new SOAP API with Java?

Thanks,

-Wally

Friday, March 9, 2012 8:57 AM