how do I stop VS 2008 from checking all tests projects after a build? RRS feed

• Question

• Here's what's happening:

I have a test project. In that project I have several tests, including one that looks like:

[TestMethod]
    [Ignore]
    public void IgnoreThisTest()
     { }

When I do a build (Project only) I get output in my Output\Tests window that says:

UTA050: Test MyTestProject.MyTestClass.IgnoreThisTest has the Ignore attribute. Ignoring test.

When I build the entire solution I get about 95 lines like this (relating to all of the projects in the solution). Which is no big deal except that I have to wait for it *every time I build*. Seriously it's adding like a 50% wait time to the end of my build.

A coworker has the same version of VS installed and doesn't have the Output\Tests window at all. When he pulls down the dropdown for the Output window it says "Test". Tests is not an option on his machine. Second coworker is the same.

How do I get rid of this "discovery of tests" at the end of my build?

I'm using VS 9.0.30729.1 SP. I have TestDriven.Net and Gallio installed, but my coworkers do as well.

Edit: this WYSIWYG editor sucks! it inserted many "<br/>" in my code block when I submitted the edit!

Edit2: I can't get the formatting of that code block right. I give up.

• Moved by Figo Fei Thursday, November 18, 2010 6:01 AM (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    • Moved by Edwer Fang Monday, November 22, 2010 5:00 AM (From:Visual Studio Team System - Testing)
    Friday, November 12, 2010 6:31 PM

Answers

• The solution to this is to not have the Test View window when you build a project.
    • Marked as answer by JCollum Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Does commenting out these lines work for you?

Thanks.

Figo Fei
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 9:54 AM
  • So your idea is that I comment out all the tests that have the Ignore attribute? Is that correct?
    Monday, November 15, 2010 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I think that could be a way to get it over.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 5:39 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, I think that could be a way to get it over.

Thanks.

Figo Fei

That  doesn't address the root cause of the behavior. I can't just go commenting out vast swaths of code because my environment behaves strangely around it. This behavior is restricted to my system. 

Where did this "Tests" output window come from? How come other devs in my team don't have it but have the same stuff installed?

Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Are you both using the same edition of VS2008, which test window did you refer to, test results, test view or test runs etc?

Can you just close that window and what happens to the IDE then?

Thanks.

Figo Fei

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 3:09 AM
  • I can close the window (Output) but the Tests sub-window just comes back when I build.

This is an Output window that shows up after I build.

Yes, all coworkers are using the same version of the IDE, I've checked.

Here is a screenshot of the Tests window.

From Drop Box
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:35 PM
  • Moved to VS test forums for better answers.

Figo Fei

Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:59 AM
  • The solution to this is to not have the Test View window when you build a project.
    • Marked as answer by JCollum Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:01 PM
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:59 PM