none
Approval workflow with variable task durations

Question

• Hello,

I am trying to create a approval workflow where task are assigned to users for approval and they have a set amount of days to complete the task. I can get this to work in the first stage, but cant get it to transfer to the second stage.

Stage:Root Cause
    Add 0 months, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to Today (Output to Variable: date )
    Assign a task to Current Item:Created By (Task outcome to Variable: Outcome | Task ID to Variable: TaskID )
    Add 0 months, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to Today (Output to Variable: date1 )
    Assign a task to April Smith (Task outcome to Variable: Outcome3 | Task ID to Variable: TaskID3 )
    Transition to stage
    If Variable: Outcome3 equals Approved
    Go to CAR
    Else
    Go to Root Cause
    Stage:CAR
    Add 0 months, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to Today (Output to Variable: date2 )
    Assign a task to Current Item:Created By (Task outcome to Variable: Outcome1 | Task ID to Variable: TaskID1 )
    Add 0 months, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to Today (Output to Variable: date3 )
    Assign a task to April Smith (Task outcome to Variable: Outcome4 | Task ID to Variable: TaskID4 )
    Transition to stage
    If Variable: Outcome4 equals Approved
    Go to Final Aprroval
    Else
    Go to CAR
    Stage:Final Aprroval
    Add 0 months, 3 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes to Today (Output to Variable: date4 )
    Assign a task to Martzke, Derek (Task outcome to Variable: Outcome2 | Task ID to Variable: TaskID2 )
    Transition to stage
    Go to End of Workflow

Monday, December 5, 2016 9:31 PM

All replies

• What am I missing?
    Monday, December 5, 2016 9:33 PM
  • Hi DM7582,

According to your description, my understanding is that, the workflow will always run the “Root Cause” stage until April Smith approved in this task. And if approved, run the next “CAR” stage. The same steps in the “CAR” stage. And then run “Final Approval” stage.

Where do you use the “variable: date” ?

My understanding is that you set "variable: date" to Due date when you assign a task.

Please check if you select the correct field when “Assign a task”

I create the workflow following your steps, it works well as below:

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:56 AM