Missing objects from SSMA for Oracle v 6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Unless I missing something here most of the objects from are missing from SSMA for Oracle v 6 compared with SSMA for Oracle v 5.3

--Results from ssma for oracle 5.3
    use sysdb
    select COUNT(*) from sys.objects
    where schema_name(schema_id) = 'ssma_oracle' -- and type = 'FN'
    ------------------------*/

-----------

--Results from ssma for oracle 6
    /*------------------------
    use sysdb
    select COUNT(*) from sys.objects
    where schema_name(schema_id) = 'ssma_oracle' -- and type = 'FN'
    ------------------------*/

-----------

Our product installer is expecting to find ssma_oracle.to_char_date but it’s not there in version 6 , to be honest there’s hardly any objects in v 6 at all.

I’ve installed SSMA for Oracle v 6 on Win2012R2 with SQL 2014 and Win2008R2 with SQL 2008R2 both running the installer with the built-in elevated administrator account and using the sa sql login yet the objects don’t get installed.

Just in case I was missing something I installed SSMA for Oracle.6.0.0.exe then the SSMA for Oracle.6.0.0.ExtPack.exe but nope the objects don't get created.

I’m starting to think they are not there.
    Friday, June 17, 2016 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Benedict Leahy,

As David mentioned in the other thread, the location of these SSMA objects has been changed from SSMA 6.0. So if your application is expecting the objects in sysdb, I would suggest you stick with SSMA 5.3.

Also, SQL Server 2014 is supported in SSMA 5.3 so feel free to use it.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Benedict Leahy,

From SSMA for Oracle 6.0, instead of storing SSMA objects in separate database(sysdb), these objects are stored in target database now. In this case, deploy the compatibility objects to your target database by selecting ‘ssma_oracle’ schema in SQL Server Metadata Explorer window, then right click on the database, select ‘Synchronize with database’.

I also found a similar thread for your reference.

Regards,
    Lin

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Hi Lin,

Thanks for the response. Our installer is expecting the objects to already exist in sysdb, we don't have a ssma project as such.

SSMA 5.3 seems to install quite happily on SQL 2014. Is there any specific reason why its not supported?

Was SSMA 5.3 ever tested against SQL 2014? I appreciate that further QA testing would be necessary but would Microsoft consider SSMA for oracle 5.3 being supported on SQL 2014 ?

Thanks,

Benedict

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 12:58 PM
  • SSMA was intended to help you convert to SQL Server. It is not intended, or efficient, for long term use.

I would highly suggest you recode your product to work with standard TSQL, instead of SSMA.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Hi Benedict Leahy,

As David mentioned in the other thread, the location of these SSMA objects has been changed from SSMA 6.0. So if your application is expecting the objects in sysdb, I would suggest you stick with SSMA 5.3.

Also, SQL Server 2014 is supported in SSMA 5.3 so feel free to use it.

Regards,
    Lin

Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:19 AM
  • Yep sorry re-read the link again SSMA 5.3 SQL 2014 is supported. Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 3:55 PM