legacy as400 vs .net solution RRS feed

• Question

• I am working as an architect with a company that is converting their old green screen rpg applicatoins to a new .net web based framework.  One of the problems I have is that the old data is stored in flat (not normalized) cryptic tables in the as400.  The new application will run vs an sql server db but the information that goes into it also needs to flow into the older systems.

I don't want to use the old schema and problems that they have in the old db structure.

My current thinking on a solution for this is to have the DAL push data to the old systems after my transaction is complete on the new tables.  The primary downside to this is that the information is not 1 to 1 so I will need to write conversion routines within the DAL for the data push into the old systems.

The thing I'm having a hard time deciding on is whether I want to try and put an SOA front end on the old system and send the data that way or if I should call the old db directly from my DAL.

thoughts?

Allen Anderson - Architect http://www.richercomponents.com - (WinForm And Asp.net Controls)
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 9:24 PM

All replies

• I would try to keep them seperate as this will make your components simpler and more cohesive. 

You could have a service that sends the data asynchronously to a sub system that converts and stores it in the older data format.

Your DAL will be kept simpler and be easier to maintain.

Hope this helps.

Pl mark as answer or helpful if you found this useful
    • Edited by G Moore Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:30 PM grammar correction
    Friday, June 12, 2009 9:17 AM