none
Custom Field Formulas RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Project Server 2010. I want to create a custom field and want it to be displayed in Project Details Page. Now the scenario is that we are running a project which has about three team leads. All of these Team leads have the rights to enter the tasks in project of the modules given to them. Now i want is to track how many tasks have been entered by which team lead. Let say i want to see tasks entered TL1. The solution we are running right now is that i have created a look up table with the names of team leads in it, than i created a custom field and assigned this lookup table in that custom field and than added it via manage view. Now the problem can come that by mistake or intentially a TL1 can select TL 2 name while entering the task. To prevent this, i want a formula for my custom field that it automatically gets the username of the person while entering task. Can this be possible? How? need help please.

Thanks,

_________________________________________________________ Fahad Khan
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hello, Fahad,

Other than in time reporting, Microsoft Project Server 2010 does not provide transaction details beyond the last save date and time of a project.

The application, as far as I am aware, does not record in any table who has created or made revisions to a given task, formula, resource (etc.) and provides timestamp information. That no one has responded to your question in more than a week is reason to infer that you cannot *easily* track changes--adds, revisions, deletions--to task fields.

Unless you want to construct a data-entry dialog exchange through SharePoint, purchase a bolt-on to MSP, or invest in some fairly sophisticated custom programming that updates a SQL table, you cannot accomplish such tracking in Microsoft Project Server.

Having transactional tracking capability in project management software is highly beneficial in producting change reports, troubleshooting data issues, and addressing your current need.

--John

• Marked as answer by fodi30 Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:08 AM
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:30 PM