How to fix error 1603 when installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 SDK? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to install the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 SDK but I'm getting a 1603 error during the installation.

This is what I see in the Windows event log:

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SDK SP1 -- Error 1304. Error writing to file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SDK SP1\VisualStudioIntegration\Common\IDL\Debugger80.idl. Verify that you have access to that directory.

I've granted everyone 'full control' permissions on the  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 SDK SP1\ folder but I still get the same error.

The full context behind this question and a screenshot can be found on the following thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lsextensibility/thread/8d8e7e18-a92c-4279-bc39-b5e7fb2e3938

Can anyone suggest what I might be able to do to further diagnose or fix this?

Tim

Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:38 PM

Answers

• Does anyone have a lock on that file?  You can use process explorer or handle (also from SysInternals) to check that.  Otherwise giving full control may not be enough, I think PF is protected to admin only writes, have you tried running the installer as administrator?  Using Process Monitor (also from SysInternals) you can also monitor writes to disk, it may show what kind of error code the installer is getting when it tries to write the file, which may shed light on WHY it is failing.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by TimLeung Friday, August 12, 2011 9:33 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have a lock on that file?  You can use process explorer or handle (also from SysInternals) to check that.  Otherwise giving full control may not be enough, I think PF is protected to admin only writes, have you tried running the installer as administrator?  Using Process Monitor (also from SysInternals) you can also monitor writes to disk, it may show what kind of error code the installer is getting when it tries to write the file, which may shed light on WHY it is failing.

Ryan

• Marked as answer by TimLeung Friday, August 12, 2011 9:33 AM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:34 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. I did try running the installer as adminstrator but got the same error.

I'll try using Process Monitor and will report back.

Tim

Thursday, August 11, 2011 10:38 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

I installed Process Monitor this morning, re-ran VsSDK_sfx.exe and couldn't recreate the error!

I'm really pleased that installation succeeded because it means I can get on, but I think the cause of this problem will remain a mystery.

I'll mark yours as the answer as I'm sure it would have helped me to resolve this problem had it still occurred.

Thanks for your help on this anyway,

Tim

Friday, August 12, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Glad you got it working, since it was seemed to 'clear itself up' the only other thing I can think of would be an anti-virus program running and say locking the directory, once it finished its scanning it would release any locks, so that may explain the 'can't  install now' and the latter, inexplicable 'okay to install now' with no other apparent changes in the interim.

Ryan

Friday, August 12, 2011 3:07 PM
  • Yes - I think you're right. Anti virus is the only thing I can think of that could have locked that directory.

If it helps anyone else who gets this error, I'm using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i

Tim

Friday, August 12, 2011 3:23 PM