none
How are people finding the transition to the Intel Realsense RRS feed

• Question

• The latest Intel Realsense cameras are now being recommended by Microsoft for depth sensing applications. I'm curious as to how people are finding this transition. There are some advantages to the RealSense - size, power, depth resolution, no (or limited?) interference (multi camera scenario), ability to work outdoors in sunlight, more than one can be used on a single PC. However, for someone like me, I'm really interested in people's view of the depth quality vs Kinect V2. I've seen several examples where the quality looks poorer than using the Kinect - with artefacts like a ripple across surfaces. I have a D435 but have yet to use it. 

Monday, April 23, 2018 3:11 PM

All replies

• I used Realsense F200 two years ago so my exp is not representative of current tech, but as far as I know their cameras focus mostly on face and hand tracking. Last time I checked, about two months ago, there wasn't anything akin to body tracking. Also Kinect v2's color res is still the highest in that budget range or the ability to provide a good enough res on depth without having the highest raw res on the market(I think Orbbec had a higher depth res but only has up to 720p color res).

As far as I know only Orbbec supports skeleton tracking and up to 2 people. Moreover it's a new API(officially released at the start of the year) so it's not necessarily robust.

I guess it depends on your needs. Realsense and Orbbec seem the only real alternatives at a normal budget.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:35 AM