none
How to create and export a sharepoint list connection file to excel connection file library from power pivot? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm new to SharePoint and Power BI.

I've to use  share point 2013 lists to create power view reports. For that, I need to create Power Pivot in Excel 2013.

I'm fine with the above. We normally take a data feed of a list and create connection to that. We need to create a connection file (.odc) and export it into a excel file connection library of Share point. The connection to be made to share point list. The power pivot will be having multiple related lists.

How can I create a connection file which is referring to share point list

Please suggest.

Regards,

Julie

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 5:28 AM

Answers

• Hi All,

Finally, I could find the answer for this question after a long search.

First of all, open a new excel file in server.

Data-->From other connection-->From data connection wizard-->data feed-->Location of the data feed-->

http://sharepointsite/sitename/_vti_bin/ListData.svc

-->next-->select the lists which you need-->next-->only create connection-->properties--->export connection file

-->ok

The connection file has been created and .odc file exported to the specified location.

Open power pivot and check the connection in existing connections.

Exported file has to be uploaded in Excel file connection library of share point 2013. So that you can refer the same in this excel file when you upload it into share point.

Regards,

Julie

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi All,

Finally, I could find the answer for this question after a long search.

First of all, open a new excel file in server.

Data-->From other connection-->From data connection wizard-->data feed-->Location of the data feed-->

http://sharepointsite/sitename/_vti_bin/ListData.svc

-->next-->select the lists which you need-->next-->only create connection-->properties--->export connection file

-->ok

The connection file has been created and .odc file exported to the specified location.

Open power pivot and check the connection in existing connections.

Exported file has to be uploaded in Excel file connection library of share point 2013. So that you can refer the same in this excel file when you upload it into share point.

Regards,

Julie

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:22 AM
  • Thanks for sharing your solution here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 22, 2015 6:27 AM