SQL server 2008 R2 with Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Today morning for some urgent requirement, I tried installing SQL server 2008 R2 on windows Server 2012 machine and got compatibility issues. Researched on internet and got to know that SP1/SP2 for SQL server would be required in order to install it on Windows server 2012.

So, started slip streaming the setup file of SQL server. Downloaded SP2 and followed below mentioned link.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/petersad/archive/2011/07/13/how-to-slipstream-sql-server-2008-r2-and-a-sql-server-2008-r2-service-pack-1-sp1.aspx

But, the command mentioned in the blog to extract SP2 files are not getting recognized by command prompt on Windows Server 2012. So, any help in order to help me extracting these files would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:22 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand you got compatibility issues when trying installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2012. Per KB 2681562: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 or a later update is required to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2012.

Note The RTM installation of the product is supported. However, you have to install the respective service packs after the initial setup is complete. You will see the following message on the Solution Center page:

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:13 AM

All replies

• If that is unavailable there, you can consider to join Technet subscription.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:28 AM
    Answerer
  • If that is unavailable there, you can consider to join Technet subscription.

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Service Pack doesn't need subscriptions. It's free.

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:25 AM

• But, the command mentioned in the blog to extract SP2 files are not getting recognized by command prompt on Windows Server 2012. So, any help in order to help me extracting these files would be appreciated.
    Can you please provide error message?

Balmukund Lakhani
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other users find a solution quicker
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter | Facebook
    Author: SQL Server 2012 AlwaysOn - Paperback, Kindle

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

I understand you got compatibility issues when trying installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2012. Per KB 2681562: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 or a later update is required to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2012.

Note The RTM installation of the product is supported. However, you have to install the respective service packs after the initial setup is complete. You will see the following message on the Solution Center page:

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:13 AM