Inserting Text to Chart in Report Builder RRS feed

• Question

• I am using report builder 3.0 and created a pie chart.  I want to place an expression just under the legend.  I tried adding a textbox and dragging into the chart area.  I tried creating a textbox within a rectangle and moving it into the chart area.  What other possible solutions are there to this problem?

Thanks.

-Nick

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:12 PM

Answers

• Hi NPHafner,

In SQL Server Report Builder 3.0 and SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, embedding report items such as Textbox, Tablix and Rectangle into one chart is not supported. When dragging one of report items into one chart area, the report item will show outside the chart at run time.

Additionally, if you want to place a textbox under the chart legend, you can work around this issue by deleting the legend from the chart, and using the following steps to create a fake legend and a textbox with expression under the fake legend:

1.    Drag a table to the right side of the chart, delete the first row.
    2.    Drag a line to the first textbox, and drag the proper field to the second cell.
    3.    Set the width and length of the line.  
    4.    Set the color of the line. If the chart has a series group which means there are multiple items in the legend, we can set the color of the line based on expression so that it displays different colors corresponding to the values of the chart series group. The expression is like “=Switch(Fields!Year.Value=2010, “Yellow”, Fields!Year.Value=2011, “Green”, Fields!Year.Value=2012, “Red”)”.
    5.    Drag a textbox under the fake legend, and set up the expression you need in the textbox.

For more information, please see the following thread which has a similar topic:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cfb4fa19-b2ba-426a-804b-b5ea83d70d62/ssrs-2008-chart-legend-missing-customitems-property

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

• Marked as answer by NPHafner Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi NPHafner,

In SQL Server Report Builder 3.0 and SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, embedding report items such as Textbox, Tablix and Rectangle into one chart is not supported. When dragging one of report items into one chart area, the report item will show outside the chart at run time.

Additionally, if you want to place a textbox under the chart legend, you can work around this issue by deleting the legend from the chart, and using the following steps to create a fake legend and a textbox with expression under the fake legend:

1.    Drag a table to the right side of the chart, delete the first row.
    2.    Drag a line to the first textbox, and drag the proper field to the second cell.
    3.    Set the width and length of the line.  
    4.    Set the color of the line. If the chart has a series group which means there are multiple items in the legend, we can set the color of the line based on expression so that it displays different colors corresponding to the values of the chart series group. The expression is like “=Switch(Fields!Year.Value=2010, “Yellow”, Fields!Year.Value=2011, “Green”, Fields!Year.Value=2012, “Red”)”.
    5.    Drag a textbox under the fake legend, and set up the expression you need in the textbox.

For more information, please see the following thread which has a similar topic:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/cfb4fa19-b2ba-426a-804b-b5ea83d70d62/ssrs-2008-chart-legend-missing-customitems-property

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

• Marked as answer by NPHafner Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:52 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Thank you Heidi,

I appreciate your response!

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:52 PM