none
Proposed Hardware for 3D scanning using Kinect for Windows RRS feed

• Question

• After researching questions concerning hardware requirements and issues concerning using the Kinect for 3D scanning, I have come up with the following build. I would appreciate any comments/suggestions concerning possible known issues with any of these components (either general  compatibility or Kinect-specific problems).

Intel Xeon ES 1620 v3 3.5GHZ Quad-Core processor

Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus X99- E WS SSI CEB LGA 2011- 3 Motherboard

corsair vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 86B) DDR4-2400 Memory

Western Digital Se 1TB 3.5 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Quadro K2200 4 GB Video Card

corsair 9000 ATX Full Tower case

Corsair 860 W 80+ Platinum Fully Modular Power Supply

Lite-on iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Microsoft windows 8.1 (64-bit)

jperry

Monday, November 16, 2015 11:16 PM

All replies

• I would suggest you to replace Quadro K2200 with something (much) more powerful (it is a chip used in GTX 750 Ti consumer card). It has 4GB VRAM which is good for 3D reconstruction with Fusion but it will most likely struggle to perform the reconstruction at 30fps (definitely with higher voxel resolution).

If the machine is intended for 3D reconstruction and not also for CAD (or in general: work in tools which benefit from having a workstation class graphic accelerator) you should take a look at consumer graphics offer instead. For the price of K2200 you can get almost high-end performance class desktop GPU. Consumer class graphic cards of this price level should offer you an appropriate performance for the real-time reconstruction.      

Rest of the hardware seems all right. It is a personal preference after all... (it could be build cheaper)

p.s. it is of no use to list what kind of cooling/case/PSU/HDD etc. you intend to use if you are asking Kinect performance related question. List only CPU/GPU/Motherboard/RAM   

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:11 AM
  • Thanks Jan. I had trouble differentiating between graphics cards. I though the K2200 was "powerful". Could you take the time to recommend a specific graphics card? You mentioned building it cheaper. What specific components do you think I should consider changing.

Also, I will remove the components you mentioned that are irrelevant from future discussions. But that made me wonder if I should include chip sets and usb 3.0 controllers (or are these self evident if the cpu and motherboard are listed).

Your comments are really helpful. Thanks

Jack Perry

jperry

• Edited by jperry Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:11 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2015 6:08 PM