none
"Create a Simple Application with Visual C# or Visual Basic" tutorial doesn't work

Question

• I did many projects successful with VS 2003 and 2007, and am now getting back to it again with VS 2015. I downloaded the Community edition, and started the tutorial "Walkthrough: Create a Simple Application with Visual C# or Visual Basic".

The tutorial has me creating a WPF application, and then adding a TextBlock.  OK, everything works so far.  Then it says to add two radio buttons, and that's where it blows-up.  Whenever I drag a radio button from the Toolbox to the WpfApplication, the previous TextBlock is apparently erased and replaced by the radio button.  This is true of ANY control I try adding, not just a radio button.

Looking at the XAML code I can watch the <TextBlock.../> element being replaced by the <RadioButton.../> element.  It simply won't let me add more than one control!

I see the disclaimer at the top that "This walkthrough is based on Visual Studio Professional..." but I have difficulty believing even this simple tutorial won't work for the Community Edition.

When I started in 2003, there was no such thing as "WPF" applications.  After wasting many hours on this first step, I'm beginning to think it should be renamed "WTF Application".  ;-)

Monday, February 15, 2016 4:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Focus Research,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1.

And it works well in my side. I created a new WPF application, drag a TextBlock to the WPF application. Then drag two radio button to the WPF application, every thing worked fine.

So I suggest you could restart your machine and restart your Visual Studio then try it again.

Also please try running Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it(devenv /safemode).

By the way, please also restore the setting of your VS(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All Settings)

Create a new WPF application then try it again. If above suggestions still no help. I suppose there might be something wrong with your toolbox in your Visual Studio 2015.

First I suggest you could reset your toolbox(Right click in the toolbox->Reset the toolbox)

If still no help, I suggest you could try to repair your VS2015 or install the VS2015 Update1. The latest update of VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Focus Research,

Thanks for your post.

According to your description, I did a test in my side using VS2015 Community Update1.

And it works well in my side. I created a new WPF application, drag a TextBlock to the WPF application. Then drag two radio button to the WPF application, every thing worked fine.

So I suggest you could restart your machine and restart your Visual Studio then try it again.

Also please try running Visual Studio in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it(devenv /safemode).

By the way, please also restore the setting of your VS(Tools->Import and Export Settings->Reset All Settings)

Create a new WPF application then try it again. If above suggestions still no help. I suppose there might be something wrong with your toolbox in your Visual Studio 2015.

First I suggest you could reset your toolbox(Right click in the toolbox->Reset the toolbox)

If still no help, I suggest you could try to repair your VS2015 or install the VS2015 Update1. The latest update of VS2015.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:47 AM
  • Any update?

What about this issue?

Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:29 AM