none
VS2013 - View In Browser not working

General discussion

• Recently switched machines. I still need to use VS2013 for certain clients. For some reason on this machine if I right-click a page in my website project and select "View In Browser" it always puts me on my project's startup page.  Same project I've been working with for years, source pulled from TFS.  The problem is new as of switching to this PC.
    Thursday, September 08, 2016 12:52 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

To confirm this issue is related to the VS itself, the computer or your project, please have a try with the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Please try to create a new website project and add some pages and set one page as the project startup page to simulate the structure of your existing project, then right-click any page and select ‘View In Browser’ and see if the same issue will happen or not.
    2. Cancel the startup page setting in your existing project, then right-click those pages and select ‘View In Browser’ and see if it still open the startup page or the corresponding page.
    3. Run the VS with safe mode, please open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run the command: devenv /safemode, then check the ‘View In Browser’ function and if it works fine, which means some settings or other factors effect this function.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 09, 2016 8:50 AM
  • I have not tested this out as I was swamped with work for a few solid weeks after which I was given a new PC. I plan to start using VS2015 for everything I was using 2013 for.  If the problem persists for this particular project, I will post a follow-up.

I would like to know what you mean on item 2 by "Cancel the startup page"?

• Edited by John Viele Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:18 PM clarification
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:16 PM
  • I have tested the same project on a new PC running VS2015 and it does not exhibit the problem. So clearly the issue is not related to the project itself.

It may have been related to the install of VS2013 on that PC. I probably won't take time to continue to research this since it has become a non-issue for me. If you want to close this, please do.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:40 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for your response.

Since you don't want take time to continue to search this issue, I will change this thread as General Discussion. If you want to continue in future, please feel free to come back to change it to Question.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:04 AM