How do I split packets? RRS feed

• Question

• What code would I use to split packets or slow them down?
    Sunday, December 18, 2005 9:01 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

can you say a lot more about what you are doing?

Monday, December 19, 2005 12:25 AM
  • I'm tring to split the packets using winsck.ocx so I can get rid of the buffer... any idea on how to split the packets so that there smaller when they come in or slow the packets down when they come in?

Monday, December 19, 2005 4:44 PM
  •  

Is this a .Dot Net Application? I don't think you can throttle that ocx.  It's synchronous isn't it?

Basically you take what you receive.

But isn't this a surface level statement of the problem? You are having a hard time doing something. What is that challenge underneath?

Monday, December 19, 2005 5:08 PM
  • No, it's a VB6 app, I'm tring to kill the buffer when so many packets come in..Because the buffer makes you lag... Is there anyway to do this?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005 5:09 AM
  •  

Kane,

This is a DotNet Forum. Since you are dealing with a COM based product, you'll receive a better answer from a Vb6 group. Please see the VB6 announcements at the top of this forum.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 3:02 PM
  • I assume that you are using UDP since you are referring to packets and the good ole' winsock control.

I haven't tried this myself, but couldn't you use setsockopt(MySocket.SocketHandle, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, <whatever buffer size you want as a 32bit int>, 4) to set the receive buffer to an appropriate size?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/setsockopt_2.asp

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:11 PM
  • Yes, that works, thank you
    Wednesday, December 21, 2005 3:46 AM