WebBrowser control opens ActiveX (pdf reader) in new Adobe Reader application on Vista x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a code webBrowser.Navigate( "http://site.com/file.pdf" ). In XP and Vista x86 it loads pdf to WebBrowser contriol and works fine. But in Vista x64 it opens pdf document in separate Adobe Reader window.
    At the same time in IE8 (which I have on Vista x64) I have no problems with opening pdf files just in the browser.
    Is it a problem of WebBrowser control or I have to make chnage some settings?

лучше молчать и прослыть глупцом, чем сказать и подтвердить это
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:11 AM

Answers

• I reckon you are using the 32-bit version of IE8.  Yes, WebBrowser *is* Internet Explorer.  No, you can't use the 32-bit version of IE (WebBrowser) in a 64-bit app.  Post to an Adobe support forum to find out how to solve your problem other than by forcing your app to run in 32-bit mode.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Monday, June 22, 2009 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:34 PM

All replies

• It is a Adobe problem, they don't yet have a 64-bit version of Acrobat Reader.  Since you are running in 64-bit mode, it has no other option but open the document separately in a 32-bit process.  One possible fix is to force your app to run in 32-bit mode.  Project + Properties, Build tab, Platform Target = x86.

Hans Passant.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:54 PM
  • OK.
    But why I can open pdf documents in IE8 and cannot open in WebBrowser control? 
    Does WebBrowser control related to current version of IE? Can I somehow to build solution for any platform but use 32-bit version of WebBrowser control? 

лучше молчать и прослыть глупцом, чем сказать и подтвердить это
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 1:59 PM
  • I reckon you are using the 32-bit version of IE8.  Yes, WebBrowser *is* Internet Explorer.  No, you can't use the 32-bit version of IE (WebBrowser) in a 64-bit app.  Post to an Adobe support forum to find out how to solve your problem other than by forcing your app to run in 32-bit mode.

Hans Passant.
    • Marked as answer by Zhi-Xin Ye Monday, June 22, 2009 2:23 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:34 PM