none
Using SCSI Port Driver to respond to USB Device RRS feed

• Question

•    Me and a couple of other guys are trying to write firmware for a Vinculum II chip from FTDI. This will be a bridge between a device that dumps logs onto a flash drive and a Windows PC. I already have the device capable of enumerating as a Mass Storage Device, now I'm in the process of responding to CBWs and the SCSI commands inside them. One member of my team had the great idea that, since we already plan on passing data onto the PC side of the bridge, we could pass the CBWs, or at least the SCSI commands, onto the PC side and let a Windows machine respond to them. We found this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff565353%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 and we are wondering if it fits into what we want to accomplish. Is developing a miniport driver the way to go for what I've described; i.e., responding to the SCSI commands from a separate host device. Thanks for reading, answering, and suggesting resources and tips!
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:46 PM

All replies

• the SCSI port driver expects the miniport to be controlling an HBA (i.e. an interrupt is involved). not what you want. furthermore, the scsi port model has been deprecated for the storport model.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response. I will look more into the storport. Is there any tools/libraries you can think of that might benefit me in my situation?
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 4:16 PM
  • Try the RAMDISK driver in the Win10 WDK samples ( Storage\RAMDISK). It is much smaller than the StorPort miniport samples.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:34 PM