"Go to Work Item" history in VS 2012

Question

• Hi

In VS 2010 the Find dialog keeps a history of those work items searched for, which is useful if the user swaps work items frequently (and without any particular pattern) and wants to revisit something they've recently looked at.

In VS 2012 this has become "Go to Work Item" but it's lost the history of recently visited work items.

Is there a way to get that back, or maybe an alternative?

Thanks,

Pete.

• Edited by PeteBullock Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:12 AM
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:11 AM

Answers

• Pete, in VS2012 this functionality exists at the top of the Team Explorer pane, this has a drop down with your history.

There is a keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+# to get to the box and Alt+Down to display your recent search history.

You can either enter a Work Item Id, or some text to search on. At the bottom of the drop down, there are some helpers to filter your assigned to / state / etc. fields.

Cheers,

Dave

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Don't know if I got your concern correctly but here are details on what I understood..

1. Find dialog retains values of previous search made but we don't use it to search Work Item in TFS

2. In VS 2010 also there is option "Go to Work Item" Or Ctrl + G

I tried your concern based on what I understood and results are same for VS 2012 as well.

Please correct me if I misunderstand your concern. I will be happy to help.

Thanks

Vivek MCP,MCTS

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Not quite.

In VS 2010 you use the Find dialog to switch to a work item. The dialog includes a history of the most recent work items you've switched to, so I can see the last 10 (I think it is) work items and switch quickly to them.

In VS 2012 we have the "Go to Work Item" which works the same except there isn't a history, so I can't see those items I've viewed recently.

It doesn't sound a big deal I know, but I manage a team of developers and so switch to different work items a lot.. I found the history option in 2010 very useful.

Thanks.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Pete, in VS2012 this functionality exists at the top of the Team Explorer pane, this has a drop down with your history.

There is a keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+# to get to the box and Alt+Down to display your recent search history.

You can either enter a Work Item Id, or some text to search on. At the bottom of the drop down, there are some helpers to filter your assigned to / state / etc. fields.

Cheers,

Dave

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:47 PM
  • That will do nicely, the history doesn't link to the "Go to Work Item" dialog so I'll just use Ctrl+# instead.

Thanks very much for your help.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:29 PM