Managing Roles... How do you do it? RRS feed

• Question

• User729810419 posted

I've had this issue before where I create roles with the Visual Studio ASP.NET Configuration and then I copy my database to my remote server.  Is this the only way to get your profiles out there with the out-of-the-box ClubSite?  Otherwise, how do you establish an Administrator role so you can add events?

I want to add that even when I upload the DB I still cannot login?  If anyone has any advise please help me.

Thanks in advance and I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:34 PM

Answers

• User729810419 posted

Giovanni, thanks for the response.  Yes, the OOTB ClubSite has roles capabilities.  I've created an Admin role and some "friends" roles in the asp.net config tool in Visual Studio but when I upload by DB, the roles are not there?

Glad to hear I'm doing it correctly however now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm adding this comment. 

You cannot just FTP the database directly into your site, because you cannot add the data in your dev database directly to the production database. You will need to create a backup file(^.bak) and then upload this file using FTP to your 'db' folder and restore it to your database using our restore tool at https://cp.websecurestores.com/tools.

So there you have it.  I'm going to build an external DB Management/Admin area to make this an easier process.

Thanks!

Tim

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 12:19 PM

All replies

• User291829477 posted

I've never used the "out-of-the-box ClubSite" so I'm not sure specifically what you are referring to.  Have you tried using the System.Web.Security classes? 

System.Web.Security.Roles.CreateRole("Administrator");

If you create roles on your local database and then upload it to a SQL Server and attach it, your roles should still be there.

If this doesn't answer your question, then you'll need to be more specific.

<!--EndFragment-->
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:11 AM
  • User729810419 posted

Giovanni, thanks for the response.  Yes, the OOTB ClubSite has roles capabilities.  I've created an Admin role and some "friends" roles in the asp.net config tool in Visual Studio but when I upload by DB, the roles are not there?

Glad to hear I'm doing it correctly however now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm adding this comment. 

You cannot just FTP the database directly into your site, because you cannot add the data in your dev database directly to the production database. You will need to create a backup file(^.bak) and then upload this file using FTP to your 'db' folder and restore it to your database using our restore tool at https://cp.websecurestores.com/tools.

So there you have it.  I'm going to build an external DB Management/Admin area to make this an easier process.

Thanks!

Tim

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, December 28, 2007 12:19 PM