upload local data base to to Azure SQL Database RRS feed

• Question

• **hi

i just starting learning about Windows Azure
    and i create a web site
    then i create an empty database on sql Azure

But I'm having some difficulties in use it .

i have a data base on my local PC

1- how can i connect to sql Azure by SQL Server Management Studio ? to transfer data from local database to Azure 

2- if i take a .bak from local  data base,how can i upload the file to to Azure SQL Database

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:20 AM

Answers

• And, regarding the connection question, you can connect to your SQL Azure database by using a server name similar to this: SqlAzureServerName.database.windows.net

As Olaf mentioned, you can upload your schema and data directly from there, by using the 'Deploy Database to SQL Azure' context menu option.

Moreover, you can also use the .dacpac (for schema) and .bacpac (for schema + data) deployment strategy. The great thing about it is that you can also store such .bacpac files on your storage account!

Alex

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, March 4, 2013 5:53 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 12:53 PM

All replies

• 1- how can i connect to sql Azure by SQL Server Management Studio ? to transfer data from local database to Azure 

2- if i take a .bak from local  data base,how can i upload the file to to Azure SQL Database   

You can't upload a BAK file to SQL Azure. But if you are using SSMS 2008R2 incl SP2 or SSMS 2012 you can deploy your local database to Azure: Right Mouse click on the database => Tasks => "Deploy Database to SQL Azure"#

And to connect SSMS to SQL Azure you have to use the database server name and your credentials you created for SQL Azure.

Olaf Helper

Blog Xing

Friday, February 22, 2013 11:40 AM
  • And, regarding the connection question, you can connect to your SQL Azure database by using a server name similar to this: SqlAzureServerName.database.windows.net

As Olaf mentioned, you can upload your schema and data directly from there, by using the 'Deploy Database to SQL Azure' context menu option.

Moreover, you can also use the .dacpac (for schema) and .bacpac (for schema + data) deployment strategy. The great thing about it is that you can also store such .bacpac files on your storage account!

Alex

• Marked as answer by Iric Wen Monday, March 4, 2013 5:53 AM
    Friday, February 22, 2013 12:53 PM
  • I have SQL Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 2 10.52.4000.0 and my SSMS does not have the option to 'Deploy Database to SQL Azure'. Am I missing an update or is this not available SS 2008 R2?

Patrick Wood,
    Founder, Gaining Access Technologies http://gainingaccess.net/

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:12 PM