How to get Wireless Access Point IP Address and Machine Name and Insert to Table, ASP.net, C#, Javascript RRS feed

• Question

• User1045460610 posted

I need to get the  Wireless Access Point IP Address and Machine Name and save to a table to record if the user with the device was on the wireless access point for a class to record attendance, and not at the compass library. I have a script for server variables but it's not in there. I see some open source libraries like opennetcf, but I don't think our security admin will approve using those. Is there some .net or javascript code that will get this information? 

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:21 PM

Answers

• User475983607 posted

Tom4IT

Is there some .net or javascript code that will get this information? 

No as explained in your other similar threads.  JavaScript runs in a browser which is not an option.  ASP.NET can only see the HTTP message.   Your network device(s) need to append a header to HTTP requests for an ASP.NET application to get this type of information.  

Wireless Access Points manage TCP/UDP traffic not HTTP.

Take a look at HTTP using your browser or a proxy like Fiddler.  Then you will understand what's available to an ASP.NET app. 

Load balances do have facilities to modify HTTP headers where the load balancer can forward a remote IP address.  Otherwise, the application would only see traffic coming from the load balancer.  Contact your network admin and/or the device manufacturer for assistance. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:42 PM