History reporting- using snapshot RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am trying to provide history reporting from my site by pointing the report to snapshots of the database.

While considering this solution, I am reading that the snapshots cannot be restored. So, If I need to move the database to new hardware or run into a situation where I have to restore form a tape backup, are all my snapshots gone?

Please advise.

Chandra.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:43 AM

Answers

• Welcome to MSDN Forums Smile

Yes the snapshot will be lost in your case. You can not backup a snapshot so if you have to restore your source database your snapshots are lost. Because of the reliance on the source database, the snapshot has to exist on the same server as that source database. You can refer this for more info. You can restore as shown below,

Code Snippet

RESTORE DATABASE Deepak
    from DATABASE_SNAPSHOT = 'Deepak_snapshot_250206_1800'

1. If you restore a snapshot you can't then restore any transaction logs so you potentially lose a large amount of data.
    2. When you restore a snapshot all other snapshots of the database have to be deleted.
    3. If your administrative error involved damage to a physical file (say a drive was accidentally wiped) the snapshot will not help you.

- Deepak

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:06 AM