Caching Session State Provider creates IIS requests stuck in RequestAcquireState in Session module RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Web Roles and 1 Azure Caching Worker Role. The Web roles are running ASP.NET MVC 4 with no special configuration.

I'm using the Session State Provider for Windows Azure Caching exactly as described on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/gg185668.aspx

Every now and then requests will get stuck in the worker process in IIS, and they are always stuck in RequestAcquireState in the Session module. Some of these requests run for several hours, so normal timeouts don't seem to apply.

Sometimes ASP.NET will write unhandled exceptions to the event log where Azure Caching internals have various problems, such as expired locks or whatever. But there is no correlation such as one event log entry per stuck request.

Is there a way to make sure requests never get stuck this way?

Regarding the cause, I'm guessing that the ASP.NET Session module is contacting the Azure Caching cluster (which has one node in my setup) and something goes wrong - either on the Web role end, or on the Worker role end - and the w3wp request is left in a state where nobody will tear it down.

• Edited by KDX.ENC Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:53 AM clarificado
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:51 AM

Answers