none
PCL and Microsoft.NetCore 5.0.1 - solution broken after upgrade

Question

• I'm using VS2015 Update 3 and managing a solution including some PCL. When checking for NuGet updates, I am notified that there are updates for microsoft.netcore : 5.0.0 -> 5.0.1 and microsoft.netcore.portable.compatibility : 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1. If I proceed with the update, NuGet succeeds but the solution no more compiles and I get tons of errors telling me that objects like System.String cannot be found. The only solution I found until now is downgrading to the previous versions with:

uninstall-package microsoft.netcore.portable.compatibility -force
    uninstall-package microsoft.netcore -force
    install-package microsoft.netcore -version 5.0.0
    install-package microsoft.netcore.portable.compatibility -version 1.0.0

You can reproduce this behavior by just creating a new Windows Portable Library in VS, checking for updates, updating the above packages, and trying to compile. Could anyone tell me if this is a known issue, or I am missing something?

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi Naftis,

According to your description, I have created a Windows Portable Library in my VS2015 update3. I have encountered the same issue as you when I update the Microsoft.NETCore and Microsoft.NETCore.Protable.Compatibility.

I think this could be a bug in these packages. You could report a bug to connect site for the Visual Studio via the following link(Report a bug) and share your feedback link here to let other communities vote and add comments.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Naftis Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Naftis,

According to your description, I have created a Windows Portable Library in my VS2015 update3. I have encountered the same issue as you when I update the Microsoft.NETCore and Microsoft.NETCore.Protable.Compatibility.

I think this could be a bug in these packages. You could report a bug to connect site for the Visual Studio via the following link(Report a bug) and share your feedback link here to let other communities vote and add comments.

https://connect.microsoft.com/visualstudio

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Naftis Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:47 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:01 AM
  • Thanks, I reported the bug, or rather I tried to do that, but I see that my post there appears broken; I pasted the text from this post, but it appears that the greater than character in it was not sanitized and thus the post appears incomplete. I tried to edit the post to fix this, but my changes do not seem to be applied. Hope it is readable anyway. That's a bug in the bug reporting system :).

Link: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2956474/microsoft-netcore-5-0-1-package-unable-to-compile-once-upgraded-from-previous-version

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Hi Naftis

Thanks for your feedback, please mark your feedback as an answer which could let others vote and comment it.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back our forum to create new thread.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:38 AM