none
No publisher information visbile after signing code from visual studio 2015

Question

• I am trying to sign the code from the visual studio 2015 using a pfx file. It does not emit any publisher information.

Steps

1. Open a project in vs2015

2. Right click on the project and select properties.

3. Under the project properties select the signing tab .

4. Check the box  "Sign the assembly"

5. under the choose a strong name key file

6. Build the project.

After that if I check the property of the dll or exe I do not see the publisher information. How can I make the publisher information visible.

Thanks,

RAVI

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 9:08 PM

Answers

• Hi RAVI,

We often use command sign assemblies with signtool.exe, is it right? And do you use any parameter to assign the Publisher information when your sign with command?

I also tried sign assemblies with Visual Studio 2015 and don't get any publisher information of these assemblies. It should be the design for Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:15 AM

All replies

• Hi RAVI,

What do you mean the publisher information? As far as I know, the Publisher is display in Programs and Features as below image shows.

According to your description for the steps you provided, they used to sign the assembly which can let Windows recognizes and trust the assembly. It won't list the publisher information in the assembly's properties.

The Publisher is assigned when we publish the project. We can assign it in the project's deployment manifest file which in the <description> node. More information about specifying product publisher information, please refer to below blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsto/archive/2008/06/11/specify-a-product-name-publisher-name-and-other-properties-for-vsto-solutions-saurabh-bhatia.aspx

<description asmv2:publisher="PublisherInformation" asmv2:product="My VSTO Solution" asmv2:supportUrl="http://www.microsoft.com/" xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" />

If misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:42 AM
  • Thank you Weiwei for your reply. I am trying to sign the assemblies (dll and exe) with a certificate so that these assemblies can emit the publisher information. when I do with signtool.exe it emits the publisher information. But no information is emitted by assemblies (dll and exe) when signing using VS2015 by above method. Basic idea is to ship the signed assemblies (dll and exe) using certificate.
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Hi RAVI,

We often use command sign assemblies with signtool.exe, is it right? And do you use any parameter to assign the Publisher information when your sign with command?

I also tried sign assemblies with Visual Studio 2015 and don't get any publisher information of these assemblies. It should be the design for Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, November 20, 2015 2:15 AM