none
RemoteApp question RRS feed

• Question

• We are looking at using RemoteApp as a clean way to provide a legacy application that runs a lot of custom code to offsite employees. I have a hunch that this application was designed with one main thread that handles user interaction and all that follows which is really common especially in the days of Windows 9x when the platform was released. I also have a hunch that every time the application has to draw to the screen it waits for that information to be displayed before continuing on. So for instance if a long process were running and it displays many status updates to the user, it will actually take longer (much longer in some cases) because it takes time to draw to the screen.

This appears to be magnified in RemoteApp but not in other systems like LogMeIn that I'm assuming are forced to just take screenshots of the desktop.

My question is if there is anyway to improve the performance of our application display? I'm testing in house and I have a feeling that users not on our LAN are going to be experiencing larger performance issues.

We can reduce the number of messages displayed in our long running processes but this is time consuming and I'm hoping there is a better way to guarantee a good experience for our off-site employees.

Monday, December 14, 2009 6:22 PM