none
When access 2013 applications are open the users of access 2007 are locked out. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2007 Microsoft Access Data Base (32 bit), which works great in a multi-user environment. The users (client machines) have their own copies of access. The client machine contains a database of forms, reports and queries and links to the tables stored on the sever. I just purchased a new machine running access 2013 (64 bit). When access 2013 has the application open, all of the 2007 access clients are locked out. The message on the 2007 machines is:"the table is open exclusively". I'm using the 2007 application complied for 2013, (therefore the table is not opened exclusively). The path to all the tables are mapped to z:<*.accdb>

How can I make access 2007 coexist with access 2013? (The client machine will have either 2007 or 2013 but not both.)

Thanks in advance. 

(I saw posts similar posts but, I have not found a solution.)

Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:33 AM

Answers

• A Microsoft Network works great.

I called Novell SELS -  they said yes we have seen this problem. A Microsoft network does not apply locks and a Novell SELS network does apply locks.  

They configured my Novell server for NO locks. Problem solved.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:08 PM

All replies

• I changed the map drive to a unc <\\server\*accdb>. There is no change in the behavior.

Thursday, March 6, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi,

Actually, I failed reproduce your issue in my side ,I create a database in Access 2007 and shared in network folder, I opened it in Access 2013,and then opened it in Access 2007,I can’t encounter exception before your mentioned ,It works fine.
    I got “Microsoft Office Access can’t save design changes or save to a new database object because another user has the file open. To save your design changes or to save to a new object, you must have exclusive access to the file.” when I try to save the table in design mode.
    If you open the database for exclusive use, you can save the design of any Access-specific object. This is true provided that you can open the database for read access, you can open the database for write access, and you have the correct permissions to modify the design of the object. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824278/en-us)
    If this can’t resolve your problem, could you provide a simplified example and more detail error message for us to reproduce the issue?

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:34 AM
  • I'm narrowing the problem down.  

I'm running access 2007 with forms, query's, code, reports, etc in a multi-user environment, the front-end is on the client machine and the back-end is on our server. Everything works GREAT. I take the access 2007 client-data-base (which works fine in multi-user mode) and open it in access 2013 on windows 8.1. Everything looks good, I then recompile it. No errors. i then run the application on the same back-end data. Once access 2013 opens the back-end tables no one else can access them. It appears access 2013 is placing a full lock on the back end tables.

I then purchased another windows 8.1 machine with access 2013. I opened the client-side of access 2007 program with access 2013. I compiled and ran it. When i open the 1st access 2013 application it works fine. I then go to the 2nd windows 8.1 machine and open exactly the same application in access 2013 on the same tables, queries, etc. I'm locked out!   (remember this application worked fine in access 2007 and the back-end data remains the same). This tells me access 2013 is placing a exclusive lock on the tables. So i then confirmed the locking.

The access 2013 data base shows the following for locking:

file->options->client settings -> advanced 

default open mode: shared

default record locking:no locks

open data base with record-level locking

Ole/Dde: 30

refresh interval:60

number of update retries:2

odbc:1500

update retry:250

HELLP!!! I still can't figure it out. 

Friday, March 14, 2014 5:41 PM
  • I created a new access 2013 backend with only 1 table. I then linked the table to the front-end data base. i open the table on 1 machine. I then opened the same front-end with access 2013 on another machine. The table is exclusively locked by the 1st machine. If i use access 2007 everything works fine.
    Friday, March 14, 2014 6:24 PM
  • Hi BigJoeAccess,

Below is my steps to reproduce your issue but failed, please let me know if I miss any information.

Machines: PC01 (Windows 8.1 + Office 2013), PC02 (Windows 8.1 + Office 2013), Server01 (Windows Server 2012).

Create a new database named “Data.accdb” and locate it to \\server01\publish\;

Create a front end (include forms) which links to \\server01\publish\Data.accdb;

Deploy the front end to PC01 and PC02, open it using Access 2013 and modify data in both machine.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:33 AM
  • My network is a little different.
    computers: 
    Pc1: Dell Optiplex 9020 running windows 8.1 -- access 2013 (64 bit)
    Pc2: Dell Optiplex 9020 running windows 8.1 - Access 2013 (32 bit or 64 bit --- 1 at a time)
    Pc3: Dell Optiplex 755 running windows xp - access 2007 (32 Bit)
    Pc4: Dell Optiplex 755 running windows xp - access 2007 (32 Bit)

Server: Dell power Edge 2950 - Novell SELS - SP2 and OES11-sp1

Create a new back-end database named "bdata.accdb" and locate it on the server

create a new front-end database named "fdata.accdb" which has links to the backend database

when i run the front end on PC3 and PC4 --- both PC's can veiw the table --- no problems
    When i run the front end on PC1 and any other PC - the table has an exclusive lock placed on it.
    When I run the front end on PC2 (32 bit or 64 bit) and any other PC - the table has an exclusive lock placed on it.

I will try a Microsoft network.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 4:45 PM
  • A Microsoft Network works great.

I called Novell SELS -  they said yes we have seen this problem. A Microsoft network does not apply locks and a Novell SELS network does apply locks.  

They configured my Novell server for NO locks. Problem solved.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:42 AM
    Tuesday, April 1, 2014 6:08 PM