Can't get SSMA to work. RRS feed

• Question

• I have SSMA version 5.1.1257.

First thing that happens is a yellow exclamation point appears next to my Access database after I select it:

Error Occurred while loading Children
    Could not load File or Assembly "Microsoft.Access.Inerop.Assembly.Dao. Version 12.0.0.0
    Culture=Neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e...blahblah.  The System cannot find the file specified

If I continue on, I get:

Required mdf-file is not loaded.

Then I get:

Conversion Error:
    There is Nothing to Process

Any ideas how I can fix this.  I'm on Windows 7 trying to upgrade a very old Access file to sql 2008 and I believe that is the problem.  My computer has crashed about 3 times since this original file was created and this is the 3rd piece of hardware upgrade since the file was created. 

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:44 PM

Answers

• Actually this is the solution to the problem:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dataaccesstechnologies/archive/2011/08/06/ssis-execute-process-task-calling-a-remote-batch-file.aspx

In a nutshell:  Microsoft didn't create a migration point from 2003 to SQL 2008 but instead relied on Access 2007 as the starting point for the migration just assuming anyone with Access 2003 would automatically have Access 2007.  Stupid assumption.  So you have to go and download Access 2007 run time files and version 12 of the DAO for 2007, so that the Access 2003 database file can be read and understood via 2007.

However, even after doing the migration, the algorithm to convert an Access Query into an SQL View was a total failure.  So the migration didn't work anyway since I had to rewrite all the Views over again.<o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by ShoppingCart Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:26 PM

All replies

• Hi ShoppingCart,

According to your description, we need to verify if your access file has been encounter after upgrading hardware or others. When you migrate Access database to SQL Server 2008 by using SSMA. You can connect to source database (access) .accdb or .mdb files and migrate them to the SQL Server. We need to verify if your access file name is right. I recommend you create an new access file then migrate to SQL Sever via SSMA5.1 and check if it can run well. If yes, there are some error in your older access file.

Regards,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:30 AM
  • Actually this is the solution to the problem:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dataaccesstechnologies/archive/2011/08/06/ssis-execute-process-task-calling-a-remote-batch-file.aspx

In a nutshell:  Microsoft didn't create a migration point from 2003 to SQL 2008 but instead relied on Access 2007 as the starting point for the migration just assuming anyone with Access 2003 would automatically have Access 2007.  Stupid assumption.  So you have to go and download Access 2007 run time files and version 12 of the DAO for 2007, so that the Access 2003 database file can be read and understood via 2007.

However, even after doing the migration, the algorithm to convert an Access Query into an SQL View was a total failure.  So the migration didn't work anyway since I had to rewrite all the Views over again.<o:p></o:p>

• Marked as answer by ShoppingCart Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:26 PM
    Wednesday, January 1, 2014 5:26 PM