none
List Preview Pane and "Title" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to display list items using the Preview Pane style provided in SharePoint. The list is basically of some participants and some basic information that they can fill in. I would like to use the “User Field With Default User” column type, so that I can show the name with a picture of the participant. I’m trying to do this without using any code – only configuration of standard SP.

My problem is the “Title” field which is inherited from the item content type, is the column that is used to display the list to the user when I’m using the preview pane, and also is locked in the preview pane itself. 

I want the list on the left to contain the participants, and the title column to just disappear.

I can’t change the type for this field, only the name and default value. Have anybody of you any ideas how I can somehow get rid of this field and use e.g. my participant field as the “main” column?

Regards
    Tuesday, October 7, 2008 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I think it is impossible to hide the “Title” column in the Preview Pane style in a custom list. But you can create a contacts list instead of a custom list:

Go to “site actions”>create>in “Communications” section, select “Contacts”

After creating the contacts list, you can use the preview pane, it will use the “Last name” column as the main column.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think it is impossible to hide the “Title” column in the Preview Pane style in a custom list. But you can create a contacts list instead of a custom list:

Go to “site actions”>create>in “Communications” section, select “Contacts”

After creating the contacts list, you can use the preview pane, it will use the “Last name” column as the main column.

Hope it helps.

Xue-Mei Chang
    Thursday, October 9, 2008 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

is it possible when using the Contacts list with the preview pane, to order the list by anything other than last name? for example:

I have a list of users who are first points of contact for their SharePoint sub-site. This list really needs to be ordered by the Site name (e.g. English / Information Services / CDSAP) rather than by last name.

I've looked into doing this using SharePoint designer but this being my first time using SP Designer and being used to code looking a little less like a robot built it, I can't really read or change the layout.

But from what I can tell it may not be possible. The table is ordered by "LinkTitle" (this is what "Last Name" is refered to in the code), and changing any of the LinkTitle values to "Site" doesn't make any difference. Possibly I'm looking at this a little too, simply. But is this possible?

Kind Regards,
    Dan
    Friday, March 13, 2009 4:13 PM