Problem installing SQL Server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 64-bit Windows Vista computer with SQL Server 2008 developer edition installed on it.  My goal is to upgrade SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2008 R2 (developer edition again).

I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 developer edition as an .iso file from this website.  I then used Winzip to extract the files to my hard drive and then ran setup.  After checking the system requirements and then running the actual installation (including selecting which options to install), the setup process began but then failed with an error 2337.  While the install appeared to do a rollback, it must have only rolled back the last thing it attempted to install, because my add/remove programs screen shows that SQL Server 2008 R2 is installed. 

Not knowing if I have a clean install, I want to uninstall what has been installed and try to get the setup program to run without error.  The problem is that when I run the uninstall, I get the following error message.

Error windows title: setup.exe - bad image

c:\program files\microsoft\sql server\100\setup bootstrap\sqlserver2008r2\resources\1033\setup.rll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains and error.  Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

So, I cannot uninstall the program.   I then tried buring the iso image to a dvd and running setup again.  The result was the same error message.  Can anyone tell me how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

Andy
    Friday, December 10, 2010 3:23 AM

Answers

• I opened a support case to get this uninstalled.  The process was too complicated for me to remember what all was done.  I am marking this case as closed do nobody spends further time on it.

Andy
    • Marked as answer by andy pelkey Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:01 AM

All replies

• If you unzipped the ISO image with WinZip it might have resulted in corrupted files during the extraction process. See this post: http://blog.mikeobrien.net/2010/05/winzip-doesn-extract-isos-properly.html

Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Friday, December 10, 2010 5:32 AM
  • Hi Balmukund.

Thank you for confirming the problem with Winzip.  I did read another article about that which is why I burned a DVD, but the article you provided was more/better evidence of this.

The problem now is that I am unable to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 (at least the parts that did install) so I cannot attempt a re-install.  Any idea how to manually uninstall it?

Thanks!

Andy
    Friday, December 10, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi andy pelkey,

The problem now is that I am unable to uninstall SQL Server 2008 R2 (at least the parts that did install) so I cannot attempt a re-install.  Any idea how to manually uninstall it?

Please try the approach provided in this link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143412.aspx

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Regards,
    Tom Li
    • Proposed as answer by Alan Thomas1 Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:57 AM
  • I opened a support case to get this uninstalled.  The process was too complicated for me to remember what all was done.  I am marking this case as closed do nobody spends further time on it.

Andy
    • Marked as answer by andy pelkey Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:02 AM
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 3:01 AM