need basic info about vb.net RRS feed

• Question

• User205691945 posted

hello.. i have learn C# in my college syllabus now i need info about vb.net in the BCA i have learnt vb 2005 now whats this vb.net?

what is the relation of vb and vb.net? is vb.net is next version of vb versions?

Reply with your knowledge please dont just copy paste info here..

because i want to learn vb.net by my own,

i know vb and just need basic info abt the relation btwn vb and vb.net..

thank you!

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:37 AM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

Visual Basic .NET:

i need info about vb.net in the BCA i have learnt vb 2005 now whats this vb.net?

If you used VS.NET 2005 then you know VB.NET because all versions of Visual Studio .NET use VB.NET.  VS.NET 2002 (VB7), 2003(VB7.1), 2005(VB8), 2008(VB9), and 2010(VB10) all used VB.NET. 

what is the relation of vb and vb.net? is vb.net is next version of vb versions?

VB.NET is the successor to the Visual Basic languages used version named VB 1.0 -> VB 6.0.  The biggest change for all .NET languages was the introduction of a managed code development environment using the .NET Framework. Programs developed using .NET are not compiled to machine language (like old VB6 is, for example) but instead to a format called Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) or Common Intermediate Language (CIL).

The main concept here is to understand the differences between 'managed' and 'unmanaged' code.  With a .NET language like VB.NET, you can decompile the binary built to see the MSIL.  With a VB6 binary you could not do this.

The current version of VB.NET is 'VB10' which is in VS.NET2010 which was just released this past spring 2010.  I wouldn't be concerned with the 'next' version at this point as there is plenty to learn about the newest released version in VS.NET 2010.

One interesting fact, is for years Microsoft had 2 different teams working on C# and VB.NET, hence the different functionality between the (2) languages.  Now Microsoft has teamed them together in a process called 'co-evolution' so that the features between languages is becoming more similar.

Reply with your knowledge please don't just copy paste info here..

Well I did, but if you are truly interested in learning about this topic, those in our industry have spent hours writing on this exact subject, so really there is no need to reproduce the same material again.  Below you will find some additional helpful links:

Visual Basic .NET:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_.NET

Visual Basic Developer Center:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/VB05forVB6.asp

Getting Started with Visual Basic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb466159.aspx

Hope this helps! Smile

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:23 AM

All replies

• User-126244515 posted

VB .NET is pretty much the .NET version of the COM based VB classic (version 1.0 to 6.0). Most of the VB language itself "survived" the transition to .NET and has since been extended quite a bit.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:11 PM
  • User2019981500 posted

Hi,

Vb and Vb.net are considered as near  to each other because vb.net syntax is same as Vb,but vb.net has great edge over vb because vb.net is pure object oriented programming language.Yes one more thing you will enjoy while working with vb.net is that you can use all the functions of old vb just by importing visulabasic namingspace at the top.So.it wouldn't take much time for you to learn it.

Vb.net is great language which is again created from scratch by Micrsoft but keeping all the vb6 developers in consideration.

If you want to learn vb.net,Go for it ,because it is heart of micrsoft and they will keep this language till they live.

enjoy....

Regards

Sunday, July 11, 2010 12:16 PM
  • User-278987542 posted

hi,

u just go visit the WWW.LEARNVISUALSTUDIO.NET   it has lot of videos for beginers

that is very usefull for you....

Sunday, July 11, 2010 1:12 PM
  • User-952121411 posted

Visual Basic .NET:

i need info about vb.net in the BCA i have learnt vb 2005 now whats this vb.net?

If you used VS.NET 2005 then you know VB.NET because all versions of Visual Studio .NET use VB.NET.  VS.NET 2002 (VB7), 2003(VB7.1), 2005(VB8), 2008(VB9), and 2010(VB10) all used VB.NET. 

VB.NET is the successor to the Visual Basic languages used version named VB 1.0 -> VB 6.0.  The biggest change for all .NET languages was the introduction of a managed code development environment using the .NET Framework. Programs developed using .NET are not compiled to machine language (like old VB6 is, for example) but instead to a format called Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) or Common Intermediate Language (CIL).

The main concept here is to understand the differences between 'managed' and 'unmanaged' code.  With a .NET language like VB.NET, you can decompile the binary built to see the MSIL.  With a VB6 binary you could not do this.

The current version of VB.NET is 'VB10' which is in VS.NET2010 which was just released this past spring 2010.  I wouldn't be concerned with the 'next' version at this point as there is plenty to learn about the newest released version in VS.NET 2010.

One interesting fact, is for years Microsoft had 2 different teams working on C# and VB.NET, hence the different functionality between the (2) languages.  Now Microsoft has teamed them together in a process called 'co-evolution' so that the features between languages is becoming more similar.

Reply with your knowledge please don't just copy paste info here..

Well I did, but if you are truly interested in learning about this topic, those in our industry have spent hours writing on this exact subject, so really there is no need to reproduce the same material again.  Below you will find some additional helpful links:

Visual Basic .NET:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_.NET

Visual Basic Developer Center:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/VB05forVB6.asp

Getting Started with Visual Basic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/bb466159.aspx

Hope this helps! Smile

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:23 AM