Looking forward to Generics RRS feed

• Question

• User1084091485 posted
    This by far the best addition to the .NET framework in 2.0. What do you guys think?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2004 2:20 PM

All replies

• User-1430188240 posted
    It's a great addition indeed, but there are plenty of new things around which will make the live of the developers far easier than it is today. Think of the new codeless databinding in ASP.NET for example, or the idea of master pages, or or or... The ASP.NET v2.0 and .NET Framework v2.0 releases will be major releases, that's for sure! I'm loving .NET every day more and more :-)
    Tuesday, January 20, 2004 7:58 AM
  • User-967169866 posted
    there are some additions that bother me though. I think it's taking code away from development, and making it more a click and drag experience. That's the only thing I dislike about it.
    Wednesday, January 21, 2004 2:11 AM
  • User-1856974186 posted
    I had the same discussion at a user group last night. A few people really didn't like the way the tool was turning out, but they didn't think about it enough as they are hard core developers and used to getting their hands dirty. Firstly the reach of ASP.NET is broad, and includes many beginners, designers, and people who really don't want to do all that code. Secondly these drag 'n' drop features are great for prototyping - it's really easy to pull together a quick app. For that reason alone the features are worth it. And besides, you can always do what I do and work in code mode 8) Dave
    Wednesday, January 21, 2004 2:01 PM
  • User-1430188240 posted
    Indeed! The new features in ASP.NET Whidbey are very very useful in many scenario's: think of annoying tasks such as editable, sortable and pagable datagrids in ASP.NET today and the solution in Whidbey with codeless databinding. This has a very high value, as well as all the building block APIs. On top of that, it's possible to extend all those things if you want to since the .NET Framework v2.0 contains tons of non-sealed classes which you can inherit from to extend the functionality of the framework the way you like (think of cache dependencies for example)...
    Wednesday, January 21, 2004 2:19 PM
  • User-46888941 posted
    Maybe you think that I´m stupid when I tel you this.. But I have no idea what generics are for :$ Can anyone tell me why they are so good and what you can do with them?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2004 12:49 PM
  • User961349301 posted
    Take a look at this MSDN TV about Generics Take a look at this article: An Introduction to C# Generics
    Tuesday, May 18, 2004 3:36 PM
  • User-46888941 posted
    Thanks! Will generics only be supported by C# or is it possible to use them in VB.NET too?
    Tuesday, May 18, 2004 4:07 PM
  • User961349301 posted
    You can use and create them in VB.Net too.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2004 6:00 PM
  • User-46888941 posted
    I read some articles at MSDN and your articles at http://www.pellesoft.se and finnaly i got a working generic collection :)
    Tuesday, August 10, 2004 1:48 PM
  • User-721478817 posted
    The less code you have to write, the more productive you are, therefore the more your company likes you :) Think of it like that and you should like the drag and drop stuff
    Friday, October 1, 2004 2:49 PM
  • User961349301 posted
    "Drag and drop stuff" can be useful for RAD, but would it in the long term be a good choice? Everything that will increase RAD, could be a lost of something else. Will it increase the quality of the product (quality is very important to satisfy customers).
    Friday, October 1, 2004 5:14 PM
  • User779750837 posted
    The dangerous thing about the "drag and drop" syndrome to me is the simplicity it implies. It allows you to very easily create workable solutions. However, often these solutions are not (or at least SHOULD not) be production quality because of the lack of other elements - such as security, abstraction to provide maintainability, etc. Too much drag and drop can make your business people think that a complete production system can be done in a week, which is just unrealistic or even dangerous. I like the ability to create fast prototypes and simple working systems for trivial things. However, I see a real danger as far as empowering people with a low level of understanding of important issues (security, reusability, maintenance,etc) to create business critical systems. I think businesses have to really watch out who creates their systems and how they're created. In this aspect an organizational architect, I think, is a really valuable position. It can provide oversight of a lot of development projects and ensure they fit the central vision and quality standards. I guess I can just see some of these "codeless" features will be used by "cowboy coders" who read "how to make e-commerce apps in 24 hours" and so they're charged with building their company's online store. As you give people like that more and more power (via the tool) I think you open businesses up to more and more risk unless they manage it correctly. Not MS's fault as they just create the tool, but an important topic I think, especially for small businesses that can't afford a large IT dept.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2004 5:05 PM
  • User961349301 posted
    rsmoke21: I agree with you, take a look at this post about Quality on my blog, maybe it could be interesting reading.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2004 12:11 AM
  • User-752200545 posted
    Take a look at http://www.idesign.net. Juval Löwy is the owner/founder of the company (I believe, not 100% sure). I attended a 1 day session on C# 2.0 he hold at VSLive in San Francisco this spring and he had an excellent section on Generics. I took a quick look on the website I mentioned above and I found a few demos on Generics, so if you're interested you can take a look. I believe he was also working on a book on C# 2.0 and I remember Generics was a big part of that, so again if you're interested you can keep an eye on that. Take care, Radu Grama
    Tuesday, November 16, 2004 11:10 AM
  • User-1490896664 posted
    Generics are great, but I was sad to find out the asp.net parser breaks when a generic collection or structure is used as a control property. I sent the bug in, but it's still "under review" - http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackId=3486f0b5-73ef-4fbf-95f8-36dd4bd11716 But besides that problem, generics are the best. I've been working in VS 2005 and it's so amazing. Looking forward to the next beta...
    Sunday, December 12, 2004 8:40 PM
  • User-78129780 posted
    Just learned about Generics.  This is great!  It removed all the duplicate code from my business layer and reduced the code by about 1/3.
    Monday, August 22, 2005 6:26 PM
  • User-888460199 posted
    The less code you have to write, the more productive you are, therefore the more your company likes you :) Think of it like that and you should like the drag and drop stuff

Not necessarily. While I like drag and drop to get objects quickly, and like someone else here said, for RAD, there are times when I just go right directly into the code. I know what I want and need to do. No IDE can really determine what exactly it is I want and need to do and so therefore, ultimately I have to go in and program what I want my program to do.

IME, generated code from drag and drop is minimal to the needs and functions of the business rules.

Besides, I love writing code. Telling someone like me "the less code you have to write" sends me into cardiac arrest.  [;)] "Drag and drop" to me sounds so ... "user" like. hehehe...

- Jayne
    Sunday, October 2, 2005 2:04 PM