Metro apps open to a blank screen in Windows Developer Preview

Question

• Hello,

There are a couple of problems I have on DP; 

Apps don't work when I click one it opens a blank screen. Also my Audio doesn't seem to work. 

Original Title: Windows 8 problems

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:14 AM

Answers

• The UAC is turned off. 

That's your issue. Metro requires UAC to be enabled in order to function.
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I agree with Andy.

When the WDP is installed, the UAC is on and you should be able to see all the tiles in the Start screen, if not,

you can start typing the name of any app while in that blank green background and some icons should appear

giving you some choices.

The video driver is important; if you have 2 video cards installed, try to enable the SLI if it is capable.

The tiles may be present but off to the right of the screen where you can't see them, also try changing the resolution to see if it makes any changes!

If all fails, the copy of WDP might be corrupted in the download!

Good luck,

Remi

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I had the same thing happen to me on a fresh install of WDP.

Could you supply a little more info like:

Is this a dual boot configuration?

Is the UAC turned off (on by default)

have you tried the right-click approach on the tile you want to run?  When you right-click on some tiles, an icon appears at the bottom right side

offering to run the app in advanced mode (as Admin), pin to task bar and open file location.

Those apps can be run from the desktop as opposed to some other Metro apps built into WDP like the games among others.

please let us know what you find.

Remi

Thursday, January 05, 2012 6:11 AM
  • Hi MarcHolstein,

please get all your updates, especially your display driver's, take care that your screen resolution is set to at least 1024x768, that your UAC is enabled, as pointed out by Taildrag above, you may also try a local account instead of a Live id to login. If metro apps do not work despite these measures, you may put in your WDP disk/USB, boot through it, and select the option to Repair your PC and try the various options -safe mode, restore, refresh, reset given there. One or more of these moves is likely to help you.

Irfan
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 11:22 AM
  • Hi,

No this is not a Duel Boot. 

My prev OS was Windows xp (maybe this might be a problem)

The UAC is turned off. 

You can't run apps like weather as admin only IE and Msn etc.

And my screen resolution is1024x768.

But I think I downloaded the DP and it got broken or something because i'm missing a lot of files.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 1:27 PM
  • The UAC is turned off. 

That's your issue. Metro requires UAC to be enabled in order to function.
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 2:56 PM
  • I agree with Andy.

When the WDP is installed, the UAC is on and you should be able to see all the tiles in the Start screen, if not,

you can start typing the name of any app while in that blank green background and some icons should appear

giving you some choices.

The video driver is important; if you have 2 video cards installed, try to enable the SLI if it is capable.

The tiles may be present but off to the right of the screen where you can't see them, also try changing the resolution to see if it makes any changes!

If all fails, the copy of WDP might be corrupted in the download!

Good luck,

Remi

Thursday, January 05, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Hi, 

UAC is turned on but still not working, but I think my download was corrupted because I am missing a lot of important files and some tiles such as Desktop tile etc.  So I want to reinstall the DP but it seems that my previous OS (Windows xp) got removed somehow so i'm not able to uninstall the DP. (The DP I installed was not an Iso but an exe, not really sure)  

Marc.

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Hi Marc,

if you only have one pc to work with, you may have to re-install the old system so you can download the WDP again, it should be in the ISO format.  You can use the existing DP to execute the download and burn the ISO to a DVD right from the desktop view.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here.

Remi

Thursday, January 05, 2012 10:55 PM
  • I reinstalled DPW again and EVERYTHING works now! Thank you Remi for helping me through this. I guess the problem is that it didnt fully installed DPW the first time  because i left pc on and installing it and it might shutted down or something. But thanks!

Marc

Friday, January 06, 2012 1:38 AM
  • Thank you for the feedback, at least now i know what went wrong :)

Have fun with WDP.

Remi

• Proposed as answer by Taildrag Friday, January 06, 2012 2:17 AM
    Friday, January 06, 2012 2:16 AM