My Site customizations in SharePoint 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone got any leads on how to customize the My Site template in SharePoint 2010 in terms of look and feel branding, additional custom web parts, changed default views etc, so that all the My Sites created by different users are based on this customized my site template instead of the default template?
    Anupam Shrivastava
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:11 AM

Answers

• I agree. use stapling. Dont quote me on this but I believe you will lose Microsoft Support if you change any files in the layouts directory. There is also a master pages library in the mysite. Use feature stapling with a feature reciever to add a custom master page to the library and change the master page.

If you want to change the top navigation of the my site pages check out this blog post I made a while back. It shows you how to do this by using a delegate control that is used on most master pages.

http://www.spdavid.com/post/2010/01/21/GlobalNavigation-Delegate-Control-in-SharePoint-2010.aspx

Good Luck

David Opdendries

• Marked as answer by Anupam KS Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:48 AM
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Anupam,

The My Site template is stored in the "SharePoitn Root"/template/sitetemplates/SPSMSITE directory.  It has a default.aspx and public.aspx page, you can customize these from an asp.net standpoint, but adding and removing web parts is done via the /XML/onet.xml file.

As long as you are comfortable with CAML, you can change this file.  Now, this comes with a warning, any CU or service pack from MS may overwrite this directory and your changes.  So always keep a backup if you go down this path.

Chris

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by SPTQs Monday, March 21, 2011 7:52 PM
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 4:32 AM
  • You might want to use feature stapling to customize it instead.
    • Proposed as answer by Jorge_Carvalho Thursday, July 14, 2011 3:21 AM
    Friday, March 19, 2010 11:38 PM
  • I agree. use stapling. Dont quote me on this but I believe you will lose Microsoft Support if you change any files in the layouts directory. There is also a master pages library in the mysite. Use feature stapling with a feature reciever to add a custom master page to the library and change the master page.

If you want to change the top navigation of the my site pages check out this blog post I made a while back. It shows you how to do this by using a delegate control that is used on most master pages.

http://www.spdavid.com/post/2010/01/21/GlobalNavigation-Delegate-Control-in-SharePoint-2010.aspx

Good Luck

David Opdendries

• Marked as answer by Anupam KS Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:48 AM
    Saturday, March 20, 2010 7:41 AM
  • From what I've researched, feature stapling seems to be the way to do this.

I'm nevertheless not very confident with it all, and have never created featuers for SharePoint. Before I start, I'd appreciate if you or someone else could shed some light on how to practically add a prepared custom master page to the MySite (I'm now referring the mysite that's automatically created when you click 'Content' on the My Profile page.) and set it as default master, as well as add a specific CSS file to the MySite.

Any help please?

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 12:06 PM