Can Azure be an additional DC in my network RRS feed

• Question

• My DC failed last week and my secondary DC didnt do its job. It was free open source software, so I guess I got what I paid for!

We use azure connect to sync to office 365 and it got me thinking can I use Azure as an additional domain controller for user authentication on our network in the case that our primary DC went down again?

Saturday, April 2, 2016 4:04 PM

Answers

• I understand you have on-prem AD VM and you are looking for Additional domain controller.

Azure AD which you see in Azure management will not suite to above requirement as you can't add this domain name to computers.

I would recommend you to create a Azure VM and add Ad role. link Azure vnet to your on-prem with site to site VPN.

Regards,

Mahendranath 

Mahendranath Miryala

• Marked as answer by Brogan-ire Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:12 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:20 PM

All replies

• Please let me know for what purpose you are using your on-prem AD. In Azure you can deploy AD in three variations.

1)you can create VM in Azure and add role AD role

2 ) You can use Azure AD option : This has limitations ( you can't add computers into this domain) 

3) You can use Azure Domain services feature.

Please let us know what is your exact requirement to suggest you solution.

Regards,

Mahendranath Miryala

Mahendranath Miryala

Saturday, April 2, 2016 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Our on-premises AD is used to authorize users within our local domain. However we used office 365 exchange instead of on-premises exchange. Does that help?
    Saturday, April 2, 2016 7:28 PM
  • I understand you have on-prem AD VM and you are looking for Additional domain controller.

Azure AD which you see in Azure management will not suite to above requirement as you can't add this domain name to computers.

I would recommend you to create a Azure VM and add Ad role. link Azure vnet to your on-prem with site to site VPN.

Regards,

Mahendranath 

Mahendranath Miryala

• Marked as answer by Brogan-ire Wednesday, April 6, 2016 9:12 AM
    Sunday, April 3, 2016 5:20 PM