Can't Install SL: Newer Version Exists When There Is No Newer Version On The Machine RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm trying to install SL4. I know SL5 is the current version, but I want to run SL4 to get a certain web app to work properly. 

I'm run Mac OSX 10.7.2, and Safari 5.1.2. 

So far, I've uninstalled SL5 to the best of my ability based on the instructions provided by the Silverlight.net site and what everyone has been posting in the forums. Even so much as when I go to the silverlight page, it tells me, "You Need Silverlight". 

The issue I'm having is when I download the install package for SL4, and go to install it, my Mac tells me that a newer version of the software already exists on my machine. However, I know this not to be true since I've deleted everything Silverlight and Microsoft related.

Any ideas as to what I should try next or where I should look? 

Thanks

Monday, January 23, 2012 9:10 AM

Answers

• NoteBefore you follow these steps, make sure that you exit all  programs that are running. This includes all programs that are minimized to the Dock.

1. Open your Mac HD.
    2. Open Library.
    3. Open Internet Plug-ins.
    4. Drag Silverlight.plugin to the Trash.
    5. Check your Trash to make sure that it contains nothing that you want to keep. Then, empty your trash.
    6. Restart your Mac.

Then try to install SL4.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:38 PM

All replies

• NoteBefore you follow these steps, make sure that you exit all  programs that are running. This includes all programs that are minimized to the Dock.

1. Open your Mac HD.
    2. Open Library.
    5. Check your Trash to make sure that it contains nothing that you want to keep. Then, empty your trash.
    6. Restart your Mac.

Then try to install SL4.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:38 PM

1. Open your Mac HD.
    2. Open Library.
    6. Restart your Mac.

Then try to install SL4.

I tried the above and the installer was still detecting a "newer version".  After trying everything else suggested on these forums, to no avail, here's what worked for me:

1. Go to Library/Receipts. (for some reason spotlight does not pick up on this folder, which is why I think this is causing the problem)

2. Delete all silverlight files by moving to Trash. (there was only one in mine)

3. Empty Trash.

4. Close all web browsers. (I didn't restart this time)

5. Install Silverlight in about two seconds.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Sunday, July 15, 2012 1:54 PM