Infopath performance degraded with UDCX RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using Infopath 2007 Client form. Recently we moved it to production using udcx files. but the form is very slow takes around 30 sec to load. But same form when published without using udcx it loads in less than 3 secs.

We total have 11 data connection. 10 receive and one submit. All 100 are on form load.

Let me know if have any suggestions.

Thanks

Dare to promise
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• I have noticed this too when using forms through the InfoPath client, it doesn't seem to be an issue with browser based forms because Forms Server seems to cache the udcx files, but it's definitely noticeable when opening forms in the client.

I don't know if it would make a difference or not, but if you are using the connections from a site relative library perhaps try from the centrally managed library and vice versa. I'd also suggest checking that location of your files is in the "Local Intranet" zone in IE, this may help with caching.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Hello again D-Virdi,

There aren't any known-issues regarding InfoPath 2007 Filler using udcx data connections.  However, InfoPath 2007 did load data connections in sequential order, meaning if one of the first connections is slow to load then you will have to wait for the rest to subsequently load.  If you add the data connections one at a time do you notice if any one of them are slower to load than the others?  Also, do you need all 10 data connections to pull information upon form-load?  That's a hefty process and can definitely impact performance.  Typically InfoPath browser forms will exhibit performance degredations whereas the InfoPath Client does not.  If you are experiencing different behavior I'd like to test it out on my end.  Can you replicate the issue using the SharePoint UserProfileService?  If so please let me know.  You can also feel free to email me a copy of your template for review....Amand Dot Ruffner At Microsoft d0t com.

Regards,

AmandaRu-MSFT

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:14 PM

All replies

• Hello D-Virdi,

How many web front ends are in your environment?  And what type of data is being returned for each of the data connections?  Can you lend more specifics regarding your network configuration, more specifically how many web front ends, sql servers, what type of load balancer is in use and are you using affinity / sticky sessions?  And one last question, do you definitely need to retrieve all data connection information on form-load?  If you alter that setting within the data connection wizard for each of the data connections, setting them not to pull the data on form-load, does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance for the additional information.

Regards,

AmandaRu-MSFT

Microsoft ProClarity | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 5:39 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

The Data connections are retrieving existence of the current logged in user in a particular group.

(We have 7 AD groups which are added to 7 different SharePoint Groups). 7 connections are used to get in which group user exists and then on basis of it some fields are changed on form load. Other 3 connections are filling 3 different drop down values on form load.

I am not sure but I believe only 1 web front end and  don't know about network configuration.

Is network configuration plays important role with udcx? as without udcx my forms opens quickly.

Dare to promise
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 6:25 PM
  • I have noticed this too when using forms through the InfoPath client, it doesn't seem to be an issue with browser based forms because Forms Server seems to cache the udcx files, but it's definitely noticeable when opening forms in the client.

I don't know if it would make a difference or not, but if you are using the connections from a site relative library perhaps try from the centrally managed library and vice versa. I'd also suggest checking that location of your files is in the "Local Intranet" zone in IE, this may help with caching.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 11:56 AM
  • Thanks Steven for your reply.

I will try your suggestions.

Dare to promise
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Hello again D-Virdi,

There aren't any known-issues regarding InfoPath 2007 Filler using udcx data connections.  However, InfoPath 2007 did load data connections in sequential order, meaning if one of the first connections is slow to load then you will have to wait for the rest to subsequently load.  If you add the data connections one at a time do you notice if any one of them are slower to load than the others?  Also, do you need all 10 data connections to pull information upon form-load?  That's a hefty process and can definitely impact performance.  Typically InfoPath browser forms will exhibit performance degredations whereas the InfoPath Client does not.  If you are experiencing different behavior I'd like to test it out on my end.  Can you replicate the issue using the SharePoint UserProfileService?  If so please let me know.  You can also feel free to email me a copy of your template for review....Amand Dot Ruffner At Microsoft d0t com.

Regards,

AmandaRu-MSFT

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:14 PM
  • Hello,

Do you still need assistance with this issue?

Regards,

AmandaRu-MSFT

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:05 PM