Topology can't be resolved with "H.264 Video Encoder" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am tryin to use Microsoft's "H.264 Video Encoder" in TopoEdit tool. But, the topology can't be resolved with it. I have tried following combincations.

Live Camera --> H.264 Video Encoder --> Custom Sink

Live Camera --> H.264 Video Encoder --> H.264 Video Decoder --> Video Renderer

YUV Source -->  H.264 Video Encoder --> Custom Sink

YUV Source -->  H.264 Video Encoder --> H.264 Video Decoder --> Video Renderer

As per msdn documentation (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd797816(v=vs.85).aspx), ....

The output type must be set before the input type. Until the output type is set, the encoder's IMFTransform::SetInputType method returns MF_E_TRANSFORM_TYPE_NOT_SET.

my guess

MediaSession/TopoEdit app is trying to set Input Type first (rather than Output Type) and hence SetInputType() of H.264 Video Encoder might have been failed.... and hence the topology can't be resolved.

Is my guest correct?

Could you please let me know some steps to resolve at least one topology with H.264 Video Encoder?

Regards,

Tiru.

• Edited by TiruG Friday, February 17, 2012 1:53 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2012 1:29 PM

All replies

• Many encoders have extra configuration that is required and TopoEdit does not do that extra configuration when you just insert an encoder from the Insert MFT menu.  The TopoEdit that shipped with the Windows 7 SDK has a 'Render Transcode' option in the file menu which will properly set up the encoder for a transcode situation, but that does not really work for a custom source or a custom sink.

To test this out, you would need to modify TopoEdit or write your own test tool to configure the encoder before passing the topology to the media session.  For the H264 encoder, I think this means just setting the desired output type on the encoder.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:53 AM