none
Row height with "can grow" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having trouble with a report that originated from ssrs 2005,   The import and conversion from 2005 to 2008 worked fine, without errors.  But when I preview the report in VS Preview, the row height on all rows in the table are all greatly expanded, in the region of 5x what they shold be. 

The "can grow" value for the row is set to true and i've set a height of 0.5cm.  In 2005 this only expanded the rows that were needing to be expanded.   Has this changed in VS 2008?  Incidently the web viewer on the reportserver shows the rows as they should be, ie all rows being around 0.5cm with the odd exception being as high as required for the data in the row.

Has anyone else experienced this?   Have I missed a new value/setting?  Is it a bug - is there a fix? 

Regards
    Dan
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

This sounds like it could be a bug in the 2008 version of the product. Please file a bug at http://connect.microsoft.com

Include an easy repro, the versions of the product you are using and any other information that may be usefull for us to figure out what is causing the problem.

One thing you can look at is what was the size before and after import. I have one guess that we possibly converted .5cm to .5in.
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Brad, thanks for your help there, Ill post as advised asap,  in the meantime, i've set the values to inches as you mentioned, but this make no difference,

The row height 'bug' seems to be connected to the height/size of the text, If I set the text to 4pt the box is still 5 times the hight of 4pt text, but its less than the height that the box would be at 8pt.  Hope that makes sense?

Please could someone else try this and report back their findings.

Regards
    Dan

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Having performed my own tests with the Northwind databases, I've since discovered that the problem is being caused by White Space. 

My query writes to temp tables and calls them again, I hadn't thought to eliminate white space,  Nevertheless, there is a setting in SSRS 2008 to show white space or not, "ConsumeContainerWhitespace" if I set that value to true I still shows the white space.....   not meaning to cry wolf again .... but...... is that a bug?

Regards
    Dan
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:38 AM
  • Hi Dan,

ConsumeContainerWhitespace is a different setting - it only affects the definition sizes of elements.  It has nothing to do with whitespace present in textbox values.

Did you try using the Trim function in your query or the corresponding VB runtime functions Trim, LTrim, RTrim in RDL expressions (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/h9wz3dez(VS.80).aspx)?

-- Robert
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your assistance there.   However I'm struggling see where the problem is, My query didn't have any white space in VS/SSRS 2005 but now in VS 2008 it does.   As I mentioned before, I don't see these large rows/white space on the SSRS 2008 web viewer.   Is there a setting in VS to 'add white space'?  How do I turn it off?  If I run my query in SSMS I don't see any white space.

I'm wonder if I should relist this topic with a more suitable title?

Regards
    Dan

Monday, September 22, 2008 3:12 PM