Certification for beta or 'hidden' apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We would like to create a beta version of our app by only making it available to a small number of approved users. The Dev Center submission options allows this, however it appears we would still need to formally submit the app for certification before the app can be made available as a beta.

To aid our internal planning, I want to get an understanding of the how high the certification 'bar' is applied to apps that are published as beta apps. Is it expected that we should be fully compliant with all Windows Store Policies for beta? Or is the certification threshold much lower for these types of submissions?

Kind regards,

Chris

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 9:38 AM

All replies

• I'm seeing from various answers elsewhere that beta apps are not actually certification tested. Although these responses are mostly dated pre-2014. Is this still the case?
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 12:32 PM
  • Hello Chris,

At this time, applications submitted to the store whether beta or otherwise must be compliant with store policies and will be processed through certification. For beta applications, it often can be beneficial to utilize the notes for certification field to describe the intention of the testing so our testers may be aware and potentially more lenient depending on the application’s functionality. If this does not help to guide you appropriately, please create a request with us here through your developer account so we may assist you. Thank you!

Saturday, June 4, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Thanks Justin.

This contradicts information I have seen elsewhere from MS representatives on this forum: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/052bef24-316c-43e0-8476-07a7a3e82e61/why-beta-app-certification-taking-forever?forum=wpsubmit

Quote: "Beta’s should be ready within a few hours and should not go through certification."

Can you please clarify which position is correct?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 8:43 AM
  • We just submitted a beta version of our app and it went through the certification phase within minutes, so I am assuming there was no way it was manually tested. The MS reply marked as an Answer here is therefore incorrect.

I have to say, the lack of clear information around the submission process and how it is applied has made this whole thing a very frustrating experience for us.

How are development and QA teams supposed to plan effectively when there is no clear information regarding what level of testing each submission type entails?

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:10 PM
  • I have not seen any clear information on this, but in my experience hidden apps within package flights groups does not go through full testing. Certification is another thing. The app package must have all icons and all the other things needed in the manifest, but it isn't tested for errors or even UI not following policies/guidelines.
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:31 PM