Uploading files that are encrypted with EFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've got an interesting problem that we ran into last week.  Users have all of their local drives encrypted using EFS, and were uploading files to a SharePoint site using Windows Explorer (not using the SharePoint UI).  Once on the SharePoint server the documents were unreadable (could only be opened by Word 2007, and even then they appeared corrupted/encrypted).  The color of the text on the document names was still green, suggesting they were still encrypted with EFS, however the user who uploaded them was unable to open them via the UI, or Windows Explorer, and view the contents in an uncorrupted/encrypted manor.

When I enable HTTPS on the site and upload documents via Windows explorer, they get decrypted successfully and are able to be opened.  When uploading documents via the SharePoint UI (either one at a time, or using upload multiple documents) the documents are decrypted successfully and are able to be opened.

So here's the question... Is there a way to configure something so that when documents are copied to a non-SSL SharePoint site they are decrypted properly?

Many thanks in advance!!!

-Zach

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Zach,

If you using Explorer View for HTTP site of SharePoint, it utilize the WebDAV to upload the file.

Therefore, your issue match the known issue recorded in the KB 959439 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959439), please apply the hotfix and following the resolution section to resolve your issue.

Here is the problem description for your information:

On a computer that is running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you have a folder that is encrypted by using Encrypting File System (EFS). You upload the files in the encrypted folder to a Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) share folder. The files that are uploaded to the WebDAV share folder remain encrypted.

Let me know if your need further assistance.

Lambert Qin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact mtngfb@microsoft.com  

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Zachary.Millis Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:23 AM

All replies

• Hi Zach,

If you using Explorer View for HTTP site of SharePoint, it utilize the WebDAV to upload the file.

Therefore, your issue match the known issue recorded in the KB 959439 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959439), please apply the hotfix and following the resolution section to resolve your issue.

Here is the problem description for your information:

On a computer that is running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you have a folder that is encrypted by using Encrypting File System (EFS). You upload the files in the encrypted folder to a Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) share folder. The files that are uploaded to the WebDAV share folder remain encrypted.

Let me know if your need further assistance.

Lambert Qin

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact mtngfb@microsoft.com  

Sincerely,
    Lambert Qin
    Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Zachary.Millis Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:39 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:23 AM
  • Hi Lambert,

Thanks!!!!!!! That worked great on my machine, so I'll have the users give it a try and see if it fixes their systems as well.

Cheers,

Zach
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:39 PM
  • I had this same problem.  I am running Windows XP SP3, and trying to drag a file from an EFS folder to my SharePoint server using Windows Explorer.  Even after applying the hotfix from the KB article and making the registry change, I still have the issue.  Is there anything else I can do?
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

The registry fix does work for us and we pushed it out via GPO and users can now upload files to sharepoint via windows explorer just fine.  The issue now we are having is that we have a number of files already uploaded to sharepoint.  Its not feasible to have every user go in and delete then re-add.  Is there a way to maybe powershell decrypt all contents?  I have 1500 files to decrypt which I believe I'll have all EFS certs loaded on my machine so I can access them but don't want to decrypt them manually by going in to properties.  I was able decrypt using powershell locally but having hard time with sharepoint as its invalid directory though I've mapped it as well and can browse.  Can someone point me to right place to get this figured out?

Monday, October 16, 2017 5:30 PM