none
How to control parallel port and test RRS feed

• Question

• I have no experience in parallel port control.

Can I get some sample source code and explanation?

And my development PC is laptop and doesn't have a parallel port and no device to test with.

Is there any way to test with?(for example, virtual device which have a parallel port)

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:24 PM

All replies

• .NET does not support working with parallel ports. You'll need to use a third party library. That library will ultimately dictate how you write the code and how you might go about testing it. Unfortunately I don't know of any libraries since I don't use parallel ports but you should be able to google for Parallel Port C# and get some more information.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 6:04 PM
  • I'm curious to know what is leading you down this path.  Parallel ports have essentially disappeared from modern computers, and for good reason.  In virtually every case, you would be better served by using USB instead.  There are USB experimenter's kits that will allow you to do anything you could do with a parallel port in a standard, well-defined, plug-and-play way.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:19 PM
  • I would like to mention to CoolDadTX first - your screen name is an oxymoron "CoolDad"  is not the issue. The issue is when it appears that you (CoolDad) imply that you are possibly from TX, or perhaps geographically located in currently.  This is the fauxpah (spelling) there is no one cool in TX period.  Hence making it impossible to be either; one- not a cool dad at all or two - you have no true ties to TX just a perceived one.  But I digress, Mr. Roberts Sir this imposter from "TX" is digging into the past of one of his loved ones or in the event CoolDadTX is from TX - I would identify that subject of CDT request as the "VICTIM" yes Mr. Roberts'  he is stalking his next victim - Next Case / Question 
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:16 PM
  • As the kids like to say "That just Happened"
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:19 PM
  • Our existing program was made long time ago and now we are re-making with C#.

Currently there are several customers who use parallel interface device, so we should keep this functionality.

BTW, you mentioned USB experimenter's kits.

I have not very much knowledge in USB interface.

Does the USB experimenter's kits mean something which have H/W&S/W I can program and play with?

How can I buy it? It seems to be helpful to learn USB interface and increase knowledge.

Friday, March 15, 2019 2:17 PM
  • FTDI make a USB to Parallel development module and provide a library and examples for C#

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTDI/UM245R?qs=Xb8IjHhkxj4TWAlYgWlsig%3D%3D

Friday, March 15, 2019 2:34 PM
  • Yes.  There are hundreds of cool little USB devices to do all kinds of industrial control tasks.  In the distant past, the parallel port was sometimes used as a way to get general purpose digital I/O lines.  Jeff_T mentioned the FTDI USB-to-parallel converter, which would be a quick patch, but if all you really need are GPIO lines, adafruit.com, sparkfun.com, and pcjr.com all have lots of inexpensive little boards that can do it better.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, March 15, 2019 10:28 PM