deleting older versions will have any impact? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The MDM UI has become very slow. We have version created every month. To increase the performance im planning to delete the older versions of 2012 using the proc : 

[mdm].[udpVersionDelete].

Will this improve the performance ? Will it have any impacts on the current run ? Please throw some light :)

Monday, February 3, 2014 8:34 PM

Answers

• how complex is your security?do you have entity member level permission, I have noticed the more heavier the security the more slow the mdm UI is.

Deleting version does help in my current implementation we take the backup the versions and keep deleting versions in regular basis as part of maintenance plan.It should not be having any impact on current execution as each versions are independent set of data.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:02 AM
  • Just retain a Full Database backup of the MDS database before you delete the old versions.  Then you can restore that backup to another location if you ever need the data from the deleted model versions.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:24 PM
  • You can use database backup but i doubt you can reuse it later,though it will be helpful in other ways.

As far as my implementation, I have created a small tool which uses web service to access different mds objects. Provided a version name, it searches for all the entity inside MDS, accesses  the entity member for the required version and dump them in an xml file as version history. When we need to data back sometimes we can read the xml file inject the data back again using web API. This does requires a bit of coding but will prove highly flexible eventually.

The code is pretty straightforward let me know if you want me to share it.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:22 AM
  • To use a database backup you can either restore it and access the data through the subscription views, or deploy a new instance of MDS connected to the restored database.

David

Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:28 PM

All replies

• how complex is your security?do you have entity member level permission, I have noticed the more heavier the security the more slow the mdm UI is.

Deleting version does help in my current implementation we take the backup the versions and keep deleting versions in regular basis as part of maintenance plan.It should not be having any impact on current execution as each versions are independent set of data.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:02 AM
  • @anup kumar

Is there any proc to take the backup of the versions. Or you do collect data from the the main tables related to a versiona dn create new backup tables . Can you please elaborate the backup process ?

• Edited by swapna499 Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:55 PM
    Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:55 PM
  • Just retain a Full Database backup of the MDS database before you delete the old versions.  Then you can restore that backup to another location if you ever need the data from the deleted model versions.

David

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 3:24 PM
  • You can use database backup but i doubt you can reuse it later,though it will be helpful in other ways.

As far as my implementation, I have created a small tool which uses web service to access different mds objects. Provided a version name, it searches for all the entity inside MDS, accesses  the entity member for the required version and dump them in an xml file as version history. When we need to data back sometimes we can read the xml file inject the data back again using web API. This does requires a bit of coding but will prove highly flexible eventually.

The code is pretty straightforward let me know if you want me to share it.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 5:22 AM
  • To use a database backup you can either restore it and access the data through the subscription views, or deploy a new instance of MDS connected to the restored database.

David

Thursday, February 6, 2014 2:28 PM
  • hi anup, please share the code with me. I am actually looking for something like this.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 6:42 PM