none
How can I update the "metadata" of emails for custom report generation? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to add/edit "metadata" of the incoming/outgoing emails so that I could then generate reports using those metadata? I'm not familiar with Exchange Server development, I'm quite new into this. Currently I'm developing a TransportAgent that will be able to check all the emails, however counting the stats and keeping track of the stats might be problematic. 

But if I can update the email's metadata and then generate a report using Exchange Server Shell or Exchange Administrative Center, it would probably be a much better solution.

I'm putting "metadata" in quotes, since I don't know what's the official term for it, basically some attributes that I could query later on via some Exchange Server tools.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 4:11 PM

All replies

• What kind of reports are you trying to generate here ?

Do you want add data to email headers ?

Whats the exchange version ?

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:37 AM
  • The kind of report is to count the number of mime and smime emails, but I also need to check the email addresses for their domain names.

I was thinking of some kind of custom metadata in the mail just so that I can use the existing Exchange reporting tool to generate the report.

Exchange 2013 and up.

• Edited by totszwai Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:12 PM Your text editor sucks, kept making all the text so small
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:11 PM
  • Check out the article, under Fields in the message tracking log files,

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124375(v=exchg.160).aspx#Fields

In that page you'll find the below,

For SUBMIT events, the source-context property contains the following details:

• MDB   The mailbox database GUID.

• Mailbox   The mailbox GUID.

• Event   The event sequence number.

• MessageClass   The type of message. For example, IPM.Note.

The below Classes are for SMIME messages,

IPM.Note.SMIME / IPM.Note.SMIME.MultipartSigned

You'll be able to run a get-messagetrackinglog command to retrieve smime emails report using respective message class properties.

Kindly check and let me know if it helps.

• Edited by S_K_P Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:31 PM
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 3:30 PM