none
CPU: for installations, is Cache more important than Clockspeed? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'd like to know which would have a bigger impact on Window install times (and VS etc installations..)

I like to rebuild my machine every week (from scratch, reformatting hardrive too) using scripts so I'm wondering which CPU to buy:

I7-6950x 10 cores 25 MB Cache Base clock 3.0 GHz Boost 4.0 GHz

or

E5-2680v4 14 cores 35 MB Cache Base clock 2.4 GHz Boost 3.3 GHz

Thanks !

Thanks! Dan

• Edited by Dannym_asdf Monday, August 29, 2016 1:37 PM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 1:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Danny,

As you haven't gotten an answer, I thought I would give you my 2 cents as I do rebuild fairly often but not nearly as often as you.  I also mostly build new VMs as it keeps my machine intact and usable while the installs are happening.

Okay, I am fairly confident that the CPU is not the bottleneck in your scenario so either would be fine. It is far more likely the storage media access and write time will be the bottleneck.  For what you are asking, I would look at the speed of your hard drive and the bandwidth between the PC and where you are doing your installation from.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by Dannym_asdf Saturday, September 10, 2016 11:13 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

As you haven't gotten an answer, I thought I would give you my 2 cents as I do rebuild fairly often but not nearly as often as you.  I also mostly build new VMs as it keeps my machine intact and usable while the installs are happening.

Okay, I am fairly confident that the CPU is not the bottleneck in your scenario so either would be fine. It is far more likely the storage media access and write time will be the bottleneck.  For what you are asking, I would look at the speed of your hard drive and the bandwidth between the PC and where you are doing your installation from.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by Dannym_asdf Saturday, September 10, 2016 11:13 AM
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:42 AM
  • Thanks IoTGirl,

From what I've gathered elsewhere, others say the same.

I've opted for an M.2 SSD for the OS and a smaller SATA drive for the install media.  Still waiting on the build...very excited :-)

Cheers,

Danny

Thanks! Dan

Saturday, September 10, 2016 12:26 PM
  • You are very welcome!
    Saturday, September 10, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Danny

Why would you do that?  Rhetorical question to get you thinking.

IoTGirl and many developers, including me, use Virtual Machines for a lot of what we do.  If you are careful and set a copy of the machine aside as a master after building it, you can just delete a VM disk, and copy the master and in a few minutes you are back up and running.

This may not work for what you are doing, but something to think about.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman
    I work for Eurotech

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 7:18 PM