How to automatically backup local and checked-out files in VS 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've started working in a MS shop, where development (in C++) is done using VS2008.

I'm coming from a Linux/SVN background and am looking for a way to automatically backup checked-out files and local files that have not yet been checked in. Under Linux, I was able to write a bash script that was able to examine all source code file properties, select which files to back up, and then write create the backup file.

For VS, I found this posting on this site, which mentions that there is a tool built into VS that can do this, but I haven't been able to find it.

Is is possible to backup these local files. I prefer not to check files into Source Control until I'm certin that that they can at least compile.

Monday, August 27, 2012 1:53 PM

Answers

• With something like SourceGear Vault, you could backup changes made in your working folders by storing them in a shelveset on the Vault Server.

With VSS, about the only thing I can think of is to use something like cygwin to diff your working folders against another copy of the repository, take that and copy the changes off somewhere different for backup purposes.

If you have a full copy, you could also do something with 'rsync' again from a cygwin environment OR use the archive or read-only bits to determine which files have changed.

In regards to something integrated directly in Visual Studio, I've never encountered a tool that can do this as an integrated component.

Jeff Clausius - SourceGear

Stretching VSS to its limits? Have you looked at SourceGear Vault?

Monday, August 27, 2012 2:36 PM