Microsoft Access 2010 and SQL Server 2016 - compatible? RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016.  Are there any issues with using Microsoft Access 2010 as a front end to SQL Server 2016?  We are currently using Access 2010 as a front end to SQL Server 2008 R2 with no issues.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2018 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hi prater5600,

From your description, my understanding is that you want to know whether there are some issues with using Microsoft Access 2010 as a front end to SQL Server 2016. If anything is misunderstand, please tell me.

The answer is yes. If you need to use Microsoft Access 2010, please choose the destination which is named Microsoft Access (Microsoft Access Database Engine). It represents the Access version from 2007 to 2010. For more detailed information, please refer to the document. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/integration-services/import-export-data/connect-to-an-access-data-source-sql-server-import-and-export-wizard?view=sql-server-2017

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:54 AM
  • Hi Emily,

Yes, I would like to know if there are any issues running Microsoft Access 2010 as a front end to a SQL Server 2016 database.

Our DBA is upgrading our databases from SQL Server 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016.  He wants me to provide a list of existing applications linked to SQL Server 2008 R2 to make sure there are no compatibility issues.  I assume that MS Access 2010 is fully compatible with SQL Server 2016, but I need to be sure.  We don't need to connect to an Access data source, we connect to SQL Server.

If our DBA updates this backend to SQL Server 2016, will it cause any issues for our Access 2010 front end?  Any issues with logon, queries, etc.?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:00 PM
  • This is a better question for the MS Access forums.

You will likely need to test it yourself.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:45 PM
  • Hi Emily,

Did you have any luck with this?  We just kicked off a project where I will be upgrading our back-end SQL Server from 2008R2 to 2016.

Thanks

Paul

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:36 PM