Is there a way to suppress the "New Subscription" button at the top of reports in SSRS 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently migrated our reports from SSRS 2000 to SSRS 2008.  The migration was uneventful and simple, by and large, except for one thing - there is a "New Subscription" button at the top of the reports in SSRS 2008.  Our QA department is nit-picky and fastidious - valuable attributes to be sure - and they have asked if there is a way to get rid of that button.

I have searched some here and in the documentation, but I've not found a way to suppress that button.  So I'm asking here:

1. IS there a way to suppress it?
    2. If so, where are the instructions for doing so?

Thanks!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:58 PM

Answers

• It actually depends on the permissions of the user.

The browser role has permissions to create subscriptions.

That's why I always recommend to create a special "reader only" role without that permission - instead of changing the built-in role-permissions

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Hi Brian,

As Andreas said, the “New Subscription” button appears because the users have the permissions to create individual subscriptions. In native mode of SQL Server Reporting Services, all of the five pre-defined Item-level roles have the task “Manage individual subscriptions”. So, in this case, you need to exclude the “Manage individual subscriptions” task for the pre-defined roles or create new custom roles from the SSMS. For more information, please see:

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:26 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hello Brian,

AFAIK the link "New Subscription" is only visible if you have setup an email server in "Reporting services configuration manager"; if you remove it the link should disappear.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:44 PM
  • It actually depends on the permissions of the user.

The browser role has permissions to create subscriptions.

That's why I always recommend to create a special "reader only" role without that permission - instead of changing the built-in role-permissions

Andreas Wolter | Microsoft Certified Master SQL Server
    Blog: www.insidesql.org/blogs/andreaswolter
    Web: www.andreas-wolter.com

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Hi Brian,

As Andreas said, the “New Subscription” button appears because the users have the permissions to create individual subscriptions. In native mode of SQL Server Reporting Services, all of the five pre-defined Item-level roles have the task “Manage individual subscriptions”. So, in this case, you need to exclude the “Manage individual subscriptions” task for the pre-defined roles or create new custom roles from the SSMS. For more information, please see:

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Mike Yin Sunday, October 6, 2013 3:26 PM
    Monday, September 30, 2013 6:57 AM