none
Does EAS support synchronization of Distribution Lists? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, my client supports both exchange protocol 12.1 and 14.1 I wanted to know if I can synchronize distribution lists through exchange activesync? If yes, which protocol supports that and what command should be sent in order to synchronize the DLs?

Any document(s) or links that I can refer would help me a lot.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Ashish, thank you for the clarification. ActiveSync does not currently support the creation, modification, or synchronization of distribution lists. You would need to use RPC or EWS.

The details on how to do it using the RopCreateMessage Rop can be found in MS-OXOCNTC. There is an example of how to create a new DL in section 4.2, and details on adding and removing members in sections 3.1.5.9 and 3.1.5.10.

The MS-OXWSDLIST document contains the details on how to implement that type of functionality using Exchange Web Services.

Please let me know if that answers your question.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:59 PM

All replies

• Hello Ashishks1987,

Thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation will respond to you soon.

Best regards,
    Matt Weber | Microsoft Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:23 PM
  • Hi Ashishks1987, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:25 PM
  • Hi Ashishks1987, you can use the ResolveRecipients command to retrieve the e-mail addresses of members of a distribution list. There is an example of how to do this in MS-ASCMD section 4.17.4.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:48 PM
  • Thanks Josh, sorry for not being very informative while asking the question, actually my question was, can we create a Distribution List on client (Global and Personal) and sync it to the exchange server? Also, can we get all the distribution lists from the server to the client and use them to send out an email to some particular group?

Basically, I want to implement the same flow as MS Outlook. Where user can create his own DL as well as send message to an existing group (which is available to him, i.e. Global list). So for that, I need to sync this information to and from the exchange server.

-Ashish

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:40 PM
  • Hi Ashish, thank you for the clarification. ActiveSync does not currently support the creation, modification, or synchronization of distribution lists. You would need to use RPC or EWS.

The details on how to do it using the RopCreateMessage Rop can be found in MS-OXOCNTC. There is an example of how to create a new DL in section 4.2, and details on adding and removing members in sections 3.1.5.9 and 3.1.5.10.

The MS-OXWSDLIST document contains the details on how to implement that type of functionality using Exchange Web Services.

Please let me know if that answers your question.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 9:59 PM